🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Moving House

Options
Hi All

I am after some advice.

I'm moving house (again) on the 11th May. However, this time I'm moving as a single independent lady (who's renting just inside her budget). So, I'm trying to pre-buy as much stuff as physically possible before I get in there.

Each week when my parents do their food shopping I've been getting a few bits, and I've been buying things for the house itself.

Can anyone think of essential items I need for moving? Imagine I have nothing and we'll go from there? This can be food or items such as quilts - which I have (not furniture - that's a whole different board game!!!).

Thanks for your help guys xxx

Comments

• theonlywayisup
    theonlywayisup Posts: 16,031 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Can I ask why you want to pre-buy and then have to pack and move it all to the new house?

I don't know what you have already but whenever we've moved the last thing we pack (and the first we unpack) is a box of essentials. These will be things like: the kettle, tea/coffee/milk/sugar, a few mugs, some cutlery, washing up liquid, a cloth and tea towel, loo rolls, light bulbs. The most essential is a bottle of wine/champagne and two glasses.
  • cattie
    cattie Posts: 8,841 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Apart from the things that theonlywayisup has mentioned, which are all things I myself have taken along separately from the rest of the stuff to be moved, to be sure the items were to hand.

Food wise I'd suggest some ready meals or a good stock of sandwich items as cooking is something that it's very hard to find time or inclination for in the middle of a move with trying to empty boxes & find new homes for things.

Another essential item is a bath towel or bath sheet to keep to hand as there is nothing like a nice bath or shower at the end of a busy & often grimy moving day, before collapsing into bed.

Good luck with the move anyway. I'm thankful after being a bit of a serial mover that I'm now in what should definitely be my final home.
    The bigger the bargain, the better I feel.

I should mention that there's only one of me, don't confuse me with others of the same name.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You could do an online shop for what you need to be delivered the day you move in.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2017 at 7:20PM
    Options
    I've done it several times now ... I'd say hold off on buying anything as nothing's essential beyond:
    - something at the windows
    - something to sit on (could be a garden lounger or folding chair)
    - some way of dossing down .... and a sleeping bag. I had an airbed.
    - something to do, e.g. TV, PC
    - kettle and toaster
    - some way of drinking/eating - e.g one plastic plate, a knife and a mug
    - a big bath towel
    - a simple portable hanging rail (£7-8 from Argos) for clothes and some clothes hangers.

Everything else you can buy once you're in and sit there and stare at the walls and work out what you think you want.

In the main, if you buy it once you're in you only have to move it once.... and you know what you want, so won't idly buy stuff you don't want/need.
  • Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sounds as if you are moving to an unfurnished place, which I presume is why you are trying to pre-buy items for the house. Is there anything at all there in terms of built-in furniture/appliances? Once you're sure of what is or isn't there, think through what you will need to get you through the first few days while you settle in. Other than a mattress, bedding and a kettle, plus mug, plate and cutlery, plus a towel and loo paper, possibly not much is essential on day one!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport