When will your student loan be written off?

Options
1235»

Comments

• AKBCS
    Options
    I started Uni in  England in September 1997 and got a student loan. I graduated in 2000. I have had to defer paying back every year since and was wondering because I have never made any payments when this loan would be written off? Thanks in advance.
  • AlexEB
    AlexEB Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I started uni in Sep 1999, so I thought my student loan would be cancelled after 25 years.

In 2000, the "Education (Student Loans) (Repayment) Regulations 2000" was introduced to change this from cancelling after 25 years, to cancelling when I reach 65 years old.

This seems very unfair to retrospectively change the terms of the loan in 2000 after I started the course in 1999.

I've done a Subject Access Request to the Student Loan Company and they didn't communicate the change to the terms of the loan. The document I signed back in 1999 said:
    "I agree to repay to the Secretary of State any amounts lent to me, together with interest and any penalties and charges which may apply according to the THE (Teaching & Higher Education) Act 1998 and the Regulations made thereunder from time to time." 
    However, I don't think the THE 1998 act mentions the cancellation policy.

Am I missing something here?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure