Wanna buy a TV

Options
Looking to buy a good 40" tv. I don't want a curved. It's for watching telly not playing games. Not bothered about 3D. Just want the best HD picture quality with a smooth image. Any advice on what to look for would be great. I've been looking on richersounds but it gets hard work deciding.
Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,877 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Useful general guidance on TV buying, in case it helps: https://www.johnlewis.com/buying-guides/tv-buying-guide
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • HoneyOnThePavement
    Options
    I also need a telly. Want my doughty to watsch cartoons and let me drink my coffee)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I also need a telly. Want my doughty to watsch cartoons and let me drink my coffee)

Buy which ever TV you can budget for.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Budget is key. 40 inch can be got from a few hundred to thousands.

HD only? Or UHD? If UHD full HDR or not? Smart or not?

AV Forums and other sites may review your possible sets, and often have owner threads highlighting to bad and good points. Last year's models may be cheaper for virtually the same features.

Demo the shortlist with proper pictures, and listen to the sound - unless you plan to use a Surround sound system or Soundbar.

I paid £339 for a Panasonic Led-backlit LCD TV recently that I am pleased with. But is it the set for you? I do not know!
  • fox_warrior
    fox_warrior Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks to all for the useful tips. Rodders53, I too have a Panasonic. It's a 32" LED back-lit LCD. 5 yrs old now but it's picture is still top notch. I'm hedging my bets with UHD just now. Listening to the sound is good advice. The sound on my current Panasonic is poor. I'm not interested in "surround sound", but if needed I would buy something to improve the sound and just stick all the speakers at the back of the telly.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport