Credit Card Balance....In Credit

Options
I have just checked my balance and I have a £20 credit, spoke to the customer services agent to arrange a refund and have been told that it is very difficult to get a refund, and that it will be much quicker and easier to just spend the £20. Anyone else been in this situation, I dont want to spend it, I want to put it against my other debts.

LivingBeyond
LB Moment August 2009

Total Debts = £28000

I WANT TO BE DEBT FREE - I WILL DO IT!!!!!!!!

Comments

• **Amy**
    **Amy** Posts: 2,680 Forumite
    Options
    I havent but what if you use it as something you will spend anyway, i.e. your weekly spend or something, or towards food?

Then take the £20 cash that you would of spent towards your debts?

xxx
    Debt: just my mortgage :D
  • Thermal_2
    Options
    I was in the situation of having £1500 credit on my credit card after I finally obtained a refund for a fireplace I had bought 18 months earlier which had never worked safely. I only obtained the refund by contacting the credit card company and saying I was planning to bring proceedings against them for their joint liability as I used my credit card to purchase the fireplace.They put the squeese on the supplier who eventually coughed up the refund.

I then spoke to the credit card company and asked for the credit balance to be withdrawn to my savings account and at first they said that I would be charged 2% cash withdrawal charge. I insisted that I would not be paying that as they had liability for the faulty goods I purchased, and they then saw reason and transferred the money Free of Charge.

For the £20 you have I would follow the advice above - use it for food or pertrol or something else you have to purchase, and keep the cash for your debt.
  • GettingThingsDone
    Options
    Hi - I had £1.94 credit on my credit card (Capital One) and got them to send me a cheque. Just request it - it's your money and don't take no for an answer. It makes no difference to them - the CSA was just being an !!!!! :)

gtd
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 208 - Proud To Have Dealt With My Debts DEBT FREE DECEMBER 2008!!!
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    yes i had a tad on mine but i just got them to send a cheque. I 'couldnt' spend it as i had cut the card up and didnt have any of the card details :rotfl: Ask them for a cheque i cant see why they cant offer you that?
  • immoral_angeluk
    Options
    Hi - I had £1.94 credit on my credit card (Capital One) and got them to send me a cheque. Just request it - it's your money and don't take no for an answer. It makes no difference to them - the CSA was just being an !!!!! :)

gtd
    I did the same for 94p on my citi card. Did have a little chuckle to myself as I banked that cheque!
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • oscar52
    oscar52 Posts: 2,272 Forumite
    Options
    most will refund it to your current account as a "credit balance refund" which they cannot charge for - takes around 5 or 6 days to actually arrive in your account, so no longer than waiting for a cheque amd then waiting for it to clear.
    No Longer works for MBNA as of August 2010 - redundancy money will be nice though.

Proud to be a Friend of Niddy.
    no idea what my nerdnumber is - i am now officially nerd 229, no idea on my debt free date
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure