We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

meal planner for one?

13»

Comments

  • razra
    razra Posts: 336 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture
    I put the recipe here if any one wants it, although I ate them all before I could take a piccy :o

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=6422922&postcount=429
    June Grocery Challenge 270.80/250July Grocery Challenge 0/300
  • MushyPeas
    MushyPeas Posts: 3,104 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    razra wrote: »
    I put the recipe here if any one wants it, although I ate them all before I could take a piccy :o

    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=6422922&postcount=429

    Great use of mince, thanks Razra :) I love paaasties, but have never tried to make them. But your recipe looks easy :D
    Previous debt: £14K :embarasse Debt free: Sept '03 :DMFW#42 Mortgage OP savings £4271.18/£12000 2019 :)Started dating OH Mar '12, married Oct '12, Walnut born Dec ' 12 :A SPC 12: 99 £38.05/£500 Make money Jan: £412.34/£310 :T Feb: £88.79/£280 May: £215.52/£310 June: £18.98/£300
  • Great to see that the original post helped people other than me! One thing I do is to make up ww soup recipe, freeze a few & then in the morning take frozen soup out with a frozen pitta (tesco doing BOGOF this week I think!) and by lunch time pitta is defrosted and soup can easily be nuked and its a cheap & healthy lunch. A mare for people with no freezer though...
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

  • I also cook for one but am fortunate enough to have a four drawer freezer so do loads of batch cooking - curry's, soups, chilli etc.

    I never eat the same thing two nights in a row - I just can't seem to face to but things that are easy to make for one are:

    Risotto - onions, rice, chicken or veg stock and add anything from prawns, to grated courgette, mushrooms etc - really easy and tasty

    Baked Potato - with tuna, egg mayo, portion of chilli or beans

    Pasta - with red pesto (keeps ages in the fridge) and black olives and tuna

    Omlette - two eggs, milk, seasoning and cheese, or mushrooms etc light and tasty.

    Happy cooking for one folks:j
  • Ok next question is hw much do people on their own spend in a month on food? I'm not 100% sure exactly how much spend but suspect it's abot £50 a week which needs to come down....any thoughts?
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

  • Horace
    Horace Posts: 14,426 Forumite
    I don't write it down but I think I probably spend about £10 a week. I buy my veg fresh from the greengrocer and buy half a dozen eggs occasionally (my greengrocer sells free range ones for 49p or 29p on a good day). I use my local butcher (the one with a queue outside the door) and will buy joints, mince, multipacks of lamb chops and chicken breasts. I also buy free range chickens occasionally too. Most of my meat goes into the freezer when I get home so I keep it until I need to use it, batch cook and then re-freeze the now cooked meat. The most I will spend in the butcher is £20 a time.

    If I can buy BOGOFs in the supermarket then I will do and put things into store.

    I never eat the same meal twice unless I really want to - I make double bolognese mixture - half will be used for spag bol and the other gets made into cottage pie.

    I stock up when my partner comes to stay as he gets expenses if he crashes at my place when he is out doing his inspections. He'll get £27.50 per night for staying with me and he then either gives me the money directly or will buy some food. He's good like that.
    Semper in faeces profundum variat

    Make £5 a day challenge Oct 2014 £126.00/£155
    Make £5 a day challenge Nov 2014 £157.40/£150
    Make £10 a day challenge Dec 2014 £392.90/£310
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.