Feel guilty - could have earned some dosh tonight

Options
My employer phoned me up at 6pm tonight asking if I would cover a waking night shift (starting at 10 and ending at 7 am. I have felt really unwell and emotional today, mainly through tiredness from working 50 hours already this week plus a couple of hours this morning. I really feel on the edge at the moment through stress at work and am on the verge of going to doctor to see if he can prescribe diazapam. I turned it down as felt I could not get through the night without breaking down.

It would have made me over £100 after tax which would have made a good dent into my debt and I feel really guilty for turning the shift down. Do you think physical and mental health occasionally should take precedence over the endless debt repayment slog? It is such a balance between feeling less stress with the debt going down and coping with one's health.
Second and final LBM 01/01/11 Nearly got there but fell of wagon. HAVE to do it this time :mad:

Comments

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    Squirrel29 wrote: »
    Do you think physical and mental health occasionally should take precedence over the endless debt repayment slog?

It should *ALWAYS* take precendence. There are plenty more pounds out there, but you only get one health.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • postingalwaysposting
    Options
    hug8ok.gif dont feel guilty squirrel, health comes before work/debt repayments. If you didnt feel well to go in then its best you didnt and i am glad you stayed home and relaxed. You have already worked 50 hours now thats a major achivement and no doubt your debt repayments next month will show this too. Have a well deserved break for one evening and dont feel too guilty :D
  • immoral_angeluk
    Options
    I don't blame you for saying no. Money is not the be all and end all. Health and your general wellbeing come first. Personally I think it was very off of your employer to ask in the first place especially after a 50 hour week and working this morning.
    Total 'Failed Business' Debt £29,043
    Que sera, sera. <3
  • Squirrel29
    Options
    Thanks you two, I don't generally get overtime just flexi. Last month I worked 30 hours over and there is no chance I will be able to claim the hours back as work is so hectic. I think that is why I feel so guilty at turning down the chance of an extra £100. I think I would have cracked up from exhaustion though had I done it.
    Second and final LBM 01/01/11 Nearly got there but fell of wagon. HAVE to do it this time :mad:
  • chloebelle
    Options
    Your health comes before debts, no argument.

I have seen people suffering from exhaustion and it isn't good.

I am a student and although I need money, if I am under pressure with work I never accept extra shifts as I need to consider my mental and ohysical wellbeing.
    :eek: Total debt £21,000 :eek:
    Weight loss to date - 2 st, 2lb:j
  • The_Economist
    Options
    My employer phoned me up at 6pm tonight asking if I would cover a waking night shift (starting at 10 and ending at 7 am. I have felt really unwell and emotional today, mainly through tiredness from working 50 hours already this week plus a couple of hours this morning. I really feel on the edge at the moment through stress at work and am on the verge of going to doctor to see if he can prescribe diazapam. I turned it down as felt I could not get through the night without breaking down.

It would have made me over £100 after tax which would have made a good dent into my debt and I feel really guilty for turning the shift down. Do you think physical and mental health occasionally should take precedence over the endless debt repayment slog? It is such a balance between feeling less stress with the debt going down and coping with one's health.

Money money money! Carn't live with it certainly carn't live without it. The mind boggles. It is hard to make the right decision but you also need time out as has all ready been said. But do not feel bad or guilty about saying no no. After all you only have one chance in this life it aint no reherseal.
    If i could i would, but i cannot so i wont, but maybe one day i will.
  • Toto
    Toto Posts: 6,680 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You need to let yourself off the hook. We all need down time especially when we've got other stresses like debt. God forbid if we did a poll, you would find pretty much 100% of us would have turned work down tonight. I turned down a weekend of work because I've got a cold and can't be @rsed. So, you're already much better than me.
    :A
    :A
    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
  • taxi73
    taxi73 Posts: 20,815 Forumite
    Options
    Your health and well being comes first and please don't forget that.You've done a lot of hours already this week in a very tiring demanding job.You did right to turn it down.
  • Adrasteia01
    Options
    Thanks you two, I don't generally get overtime just flexi. Last month I worked 30 hours over and there is no chance I will be able to claim the hours back as work is so hectic.

I don't understand why you can't claim the overtime back. Surely this would be a fairly large amount, considering it was 30 hrs? If it requires filling out forms and you're busy at work, can you fill them out while you're at home? Or do you have to clai it back as time in lieu?
  • tomstickland
    tomstickland Posts: 19,538 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've already worked enough hours this week. There's no point in becoming debt free if in the process you've made yourself ill through exhaustion!.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport