Solar Panel advice

Options
Hi, looking for a little advice about my solar panels. I recently moved to a new house with solar panels which were installed in 2012, the previous owner did own the panels outright so it transferred to me during the sale and I was given a folder with the MCS certificate, invoice etc. I sent all appropriate documents for the feed in tariff scheme to my energy supplier. Today I received this email from them -

- Unfortunately the previous owner did not register the solar panels into the feed in tariff scheme. Any new applications which were commissioned before 15th January 2016 had a deadline of 31st March 2016 to submit their application to their supplier. As your solar system was installed prior to 15th January 2016 you will not be able to apply for the feed in tariff payments but will benefit from the free energy the panels produce during daylight hours.

Is it worth considering a solar panel buy back scheme or are the savings made by the panels enough to make a difference to electric bills? I received an enquiry from one of these companies not long after I moved it and wondered if anyone had made use of this.

Comments

• caraj316
    Options
    Have you checked whether your solicitor investigated this during the sale?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The response that you have received is an accurate interpretation of the rules. Whether the decision to impose a deadline was fair is debatable. Given that a 3rd Party will only takeover the panels if it can obtain the FIT payments, then I doubt that there will be any interest. There is an argument that your solicitor failed to carry out the appropriate searches which you may wish to persue.

A 4kWp system will deliver about 4000kWhs/year. How much you use is up to you? I have a 2.15kWp system and I use about 75% of my output but I have an electric vehicle which I plug in when the sun is shining. Without a system of diverting the power to, say, your HW cylinder then most homeowners struggle to use more than 25 to 50% of the output.
  • JimLad
    JimLad Posts: 950 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Why on earth did the previous owner not register for the FIT? Madness
    Mortgage Free 22/03/17
    MissWillow is my OH!
  • missdaisy58
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check with the solicitor and find out more. No idea why they weren't registered, seller was an elderly gentleman so that may have something to do with it if he didn't completely understand the process but it seems like such a waste.
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,764 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I sent all appropriate documents for the feed in tariff scheme to my energy supplier.

Massive long shot, but you say you asked your energy supplier. Is there any chance that this has gotten a bit confused, and the previous owner registered the system with their 2012 energy supplier?

I say a long shot, as your supplier may have access to a FiT registry.

I think there's a postcode list somewhere of FiT registrations, but I can't remember where.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW). Two A2A units for cleaner heating.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • missdaisy58
    Options
    Thanks, I have downloaded that list, long shot as you say but worth a look
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 27 April 2017 at 11:23PM
    Options
    Thanks, I'll check with the solicitor and find out more. No idea why they weren't registered, seller was an elderly gentleman so that may have something to do with it if he didn't completely understand the process but it seems like such a waste.

If you can find who installed them you may get some more info. If they have an MCS certificate is that the installation registration?

With a 4kWp system from 2012 you'd be looking at around £2000 per year for FITs if it was early in the year (before March) and a bit less from later on so you're right it is a waste.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Churchy8019
    Churchy8019 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Missdaisy58,

I'm selling my house and discovered my solar panels are not registered. I've gone through the solicitor and 3 companies to try and resolve for the purchase. Unless you are selling you'll never know if the solar panels are registered or not. Confirmation was received from the mortgage lender and paperwork from the solar panel to confirm all was ok.

Turns out it's not. I'm currently between Solicitors, Mortgage lender, and Solar Panel company for a resolutions. 2+ months laters, still waiting...
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you've been receiving FIT payments then you can be pretty sure all the necessary registration had been done. If you haven't then it's almost as certain that registration wasn't done.
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure