Reducing train costs

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
7 replies 2.8K views
samfuller1samfuller1 Forumite
14 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
I go to Uni in Greenwich and commute from Greenhithe. From September to February I caught the train which was £40/week or £150/month depending on my schedule (sometimes have reading week so weekly tickets are cheaper). I commuted by bicycle in March, saving myself around £130, which was great but I'm a fair weather cyclist so unlikely to do that when I go back in September.

Does anybody know a way of reducing my fare without relying on cycling? For example, I also run a fair bit so would be happy to catch a station to a station and run 3-4 miles from there if it would save a good chunk of money in the long run.

This year I have had 4 days of Uni, 3 days catching an Anytime day return (£11.10) and one day an off-peak day return (£6.20).

I have tried a few stations (Greenhithe to Charlton, Dartford to Greenwich) but couldn't find a way of saving anything significant. I'm sure you are all much more astute at this than I though. :D

Replies

• ceb1995ceb1995 Forumite
    369 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    samfuller1 wrote: »
    I go to Uni in Greenwich and commute from Greenhithe. From September to February I caught the train which was £40/week or £150/month depending on my schedule (sometimes have reading week so weekly tickets are cheaper). I commuted by bicycle in March, saving myself around £130, which was great but I'm a fair weather cyclist so unlikely to do that when I go back in September.

Does anybody know a way of reducing my fare without relying on cycling? For example, I also run a fair bit so would be happy to catch a station to a station and run 3-4 miles from there if it would save a good chunk of money in the long run.

This year I have had 4 days of Uni, 3 days catching an Anytime day return (£11.10) and one day an off-peak day return (£6.20).

I have tried a few stations (Greenhithe to Charlton, Dartford to Greenwich) but couldn't find a way of saving anything significant. I'm sure you are all much more astute at this than I though. :D
    I presume the journeys arent at times you could use a railcard?
  • edited 25 April 2017 at 10:41AM
    samfuller1samfuller1 Forumite
    14 Posts
    edited 25 April 2017 at 10:41AM
    Three were this year but I have no way of knowing my timetable for next year for quite a while yet.
  • edited 25 April 2017 at 10:57AM
    elversonelverson Forumite
    808 Posts
    edited 25 April 2017 at 10:57AM
    Two possiblities:

Try cycling from home to Slade Green? You can use an Oyster card from there and it's in Zone 6 so cheaper than Dartford or Greenhithe.

Get the train as far as Maze Hill and walk from there - it's Zone 3 rather than Greenwich which is Zone 2, but still close to the university assuming you're near the Cutty Sark?
  • Mr_SingletonMr_Singleton Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    samfuller1 wrote: »
    I commuted by bicycle in March, saving myself around £130, which was great but I'm a fair weather cyclist so unlikely to do that when I go back in September.

I'd draw your attention to Rule #9 & Rule #5
  • elverson wrote: »
    Two possiblities:

Try cycling from home to Slade Green? You can use an Oyster card from there and it's in Zone 6 so cheaper than Dartford or Greenhithe.

Get the train as far as Maze Hill and walk from there - it's Zone 3 rather than Greenwich which is Zone 2, but still close to the university assuming you're near the Cutty Sark?

Thanks for the tip. Slade Green to Greenwich is £3.60 peak/£2.60 off peak. It's a 6 mile journey from home to SG so I'll either cycle or run there.
  • I'd draw your attention to Rule #9 & Rule #5

If I wanted to adhere to a set of rules to please people I'll never meet I'd join a religion ;)
  • elversonelverson Forumite
    808 Posts
    I'd draw your attention to Rule #9 & Rule #5

And I'll draw your attention to Rule #43 ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Ultrafast broadband upgrades

Being made available to more English counties

MSE News

30+ ways to stop scams

Incl tips to spot 'em & what to do if you're scammed

MSE Guides

£37 of No7 beauty products for £12

Available online and in stores

MSE Deals