Clearing my debt/ extra cash for driving lessons and buying a car

Hannahtaylor70
Hannahtaylor70 Posts: 2 Newbie
edited 23 April 2017 at 8:18PM in Boost your income
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and genuinely grateful if anyone has any advice.

I have £1500 debt on a virgin credit card. The 0% rate runs out in August so I have applied/ been accepted for a 42 month sainsburys 0%balance transfer card as of this weekend. I intend to shift the debt and continue to pay at least the standard monthly dd and make overpayments when I can.

My job is salaried and I earn £16320 pre tax a year. After rent and bills it doesn't leave much. I also have a bus pass of £77 per month for work. My parents live in the next county and expect me to come home roughly every 2-3 weeks at £20-40 per trip on trains.

I have considered a second job but this would A. Anger my parents as I won't see family for a few months at a time rather than 2-3 weeks. B. Take up my evenings and weekends and gym time.
C. Leave me exhausted, cranky and possibly effect my work in my main job.D. leave even less time to start driving lessons and pass. The only real benefit is that there would be a little more cash in the pot.

Does anyone have any suggestions for part time work that is flexible and pays properly.
I probably wouldn't be interested in make up (as a brand rep) as I can't even find a foundation shade to match my whiter than white skin ( I can't really endorsed a product that leaves me looking like an oomph loompa).

Thanks

Comments

• asajj
    asajj Posts: 5,123 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    If your parents want you see that often, perhaps they can help with the cost of travelling?
    You can also start looking at your expenses and see if there is any scope to cut down some of them.

What sort of things you can do?
    ally.
  • My expenses are already cut down as far as they can go.

I got paid yesterday and my intention is to take out £100 in cash and make it last the whole month until the next payday.
    All direct debits will deduct themselves from my account in the next 2 weeks and my card will only be used in emergencies (additional train fare home if the bus doesn't show up! A regular thing unfortunately).
    My gym membership expires in June so this will take my dd down from £39 to £14 by switching gyms.

My parents, although I've explained that the money spent to come home for a weekend could have paid for 1 driving lesson, it doesn't really click with them. They will only offer to take me back on a bank holiday weekend (it's a 1 hour drive).

They also want me to go on holiday with them in June. Paid for by me of course. The only other time I could go is in the school holidays, too expensive to go solo too!

I may just wait it out till September etc to find a second job, then again this will delay passing my test due to funds
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    Can your parents not travel up to see you every second time?
    If think if it were me in this situation ,I would suggest that to them.
    You are presumably an independent adult and so it is up to you to decide when and if to take holidays.
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I would say the first thing to sort it is how much you're letting your parents dictate to you about your life and finances.

As for increasing your income, this board is full of suggestions that are flexible. Mystery shopping, typing from home, surveys, focus groups, etc. It really depends what skills and interests you have, and what time is available to you. :)
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
  • Misty_Blue
    Misty_Blue Posts: 876 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    I can't even find a foundation shade to match my whiter than white skin ( I can't really endorsed a product that leaves me looking like an oomph loompa).

BTW, try Lily Lolo's 'Porcelain'. Urban Decay used to do a lovely one called Apparition, but I think they discontinued it.
    Egg Loan - [strike]£4921.84[/strike] £0!! :j Barclaycard - £3866.47 Legal + Trade - [strike]£2700.96[/strike] £0!! :j Triton - [strike]£1730.89[/strike] £0!! :j Next - [STRIKE]£776.15[/STRIKE] £126.88 Littlewoods - [strike]£217.16[/strike] £0!! :j Housemate - [strike]£1300[/strike] £0!! :j Capital One - [STRIKE]£1652.51[/STRIKE] £1,081.58 Vanquis - [strike]£2337.75[/strike] £375.58
    A Payment A Day - £379.02 to Egg.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport