help please advice needed

Options
have a old credit card debt with barcleycard was 4300 pounds. debt sold to connought credit 2 years ago. Since then I have paid off 950pounds, originally paying a amount of 100pounds a month then fiftypounds a month. Have missed a couple of payments including last months. I rang them this morning and offered a payment of 50pound there employer who was a particulaly nasty piece of work refused this and said I would have to pay 3200pounds in full or be made bankrupt I SAID I did not have this he then said I could pay 1600pounds then regular payments I SAID i did nothave this he said i had till the end of the year to pay this debt. To cut a long story short he bullied me into making a payment of a 100pound then monthly payments. Can anyone give me some advice so scared to be made bankrupt. thanks
1400 to cedit card now 1367:D

Comments

• postingalwaysposting
    Options
    Welcome to the forums... i dont think they can make you bankrupt... infact i am 99% sure they cant, basicaly they are just bullying you to get there money back. Many debt collection agencies do this and they shouldnt. Will you be paying monthly payments of £100 from now on? if you cant afford this you must phone them back and they must allow you to pay more, you cant phyically pay them money you havent got. Stick around and let us know how it goes :D
  • dragonstgeorge
    Options
    Hi!

I have had dealings with Connaught Collections previously and was bulled in to making a far larger payment than I could really afford! then they sent me an official looking document threatening court action unless debt paid in full within 28 days. We, of course, panicked! Took a secured loan out to pay this off and ended up owing more now than before!!

my point is - You can write to them advising that you will only deal with them in writing relating to this debt - this will stop the bullying tactics on the phone. And also ask them for a copy of your credit agreement - you will need to send £1 payment for this - but without a copy of the credit agreement they cannot chase you for the debt. While they are dealing with these requests it will give you a breathing space and time to regroup and work out what you can afford to pay and realise they can NOT bully you into paying more than you can afford.

There are templates on this forum of the letter to send to advise you will only deal in writing with this company and also requesting copy of credit agreement.

Hang in there! You have so done the right thing by asking for help on here as
    this is a brillaint web site with advise on all matters!

Good luck and hope this helps!
    :hello:
  • kate123
    Options
    thanks for your advice feel a little better already felt so intimadated this morning the man I spoke to was so nasty refusing my offer of payment. Trying hard to pay off debts incurred when off sick from work for a long peroid want to pay theese off not trying to not pay just pay what i can afford
    1400 to cedit card now 1367:D
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,544 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Connaught will not make you bankrupt.

They are particularly fond of using this as a threat, but I have never ever heard of them going through with it. It is simply designed to scare the **** out of you. Don't let it. :)

It would cost them a lot of money to do this without any guarantee of getting a penny back.

If you just keep making regular payments that you can afford there is no realistic thing they can do except try to intimidate you with empty threats.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,699 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Do not agree to what you cant afford
    Put in writing what you can afford each month & what date you will pay this.
    Make it clear you have paid xxx this month already.
    Try really hard to stick to your agreement & if you cant you must let them know
    HTH
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure