Tax return and Personal Savings Allowance

Options
benjus
benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Just started my 2016/17 tax return. I'm a higher rate taxpayer so AIUI I should have a £500 savings interest allowance.

When I first filled in the form I put in a rough estimate of the interest from my bank accounts and looked at the calculation. Then I went and got a more accurate figure (higher), changed it and went back to the calculation - I found that the tax due had gone up by £25 or so.

Now the amounts of interest in both cases were well under the £500 allowance (£120 or so), so I would have thought the change should have made no difference to the calculation. Am I wrong there?
Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning

Comments

• Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Would be good if you could give us all the relevant info, i.e. amounts of income from each source. The new allowances have made the calculations fiendishly complicated and in some scenarios, HMRC's own software and tax calculation algorithms are wrong.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    benjus

The PSA is not all it seems! It isn't actually a tax free allowance but is a new tax rate band where upto £1000 of savings interest is taxed at 0%.

It is also sometimes counted as using up some of your basic rate band so in some situations it pushes other income into a higher rate band than would be expected.

As pennywise says though would need some figures to know what's happened with you specifically.
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    Do you have large dividend income?
  • benjus
    benjus Posts: 5,433 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all

Thanks for the replies.

I think I've realised what happened - on the first pass through the form I put the interest in the "paid net of tax" field out of habit. Then I remembered that interest is now paid gross so I moved it to the other field. I guess the first calculation was lower because it included a refund on the tax that would have been paid on the interest, but when I corrected it the tax refund disappeared so it appeared that I was being charged more tax.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills