Please help me I feel like im losing control!

Options
Hi all

Sorry this is long winded!

I dont know what to do, and I may just be having one of those days but everything seems to be a mess and I dont know what to do anymore.

Im a single working mum, 23 years old and live in a fairly expensive town, with high rents and cant get a council house.

Im already with payplan paying £100 a month to debt of £25,000. But when i started the plan a year ago with my now ex, I was naive and stupid, and missed out 4 debts as I didnt want to have no credit available at all, which i know is against the agreement, but I was scared and just thought things would work out in the end. These were next, la redoute, solutions finance cc and hitachi capital ( for my computer which was 1 year nothing to pay and now has to be sent away as it was one of the dodgy batch macs).

Now solutions finance and next wont accept token payments. La redoute is fine as I only have £40 left to pay. But hitachi capital have now sent me a default ( to add to my long list of others) and I have just called them and it is going to a debt agency.

I want to become bankrupt, but I was in a car accident in february and there is a personal injury claim and my £550 excess to get back from my insurers when/if it is all sorted out ( the £550 i need to become bankrupt!) . I want to wait for the bankruptsy as if i get any money from the personal injury i need it to pay back money i owe my family and missed nursery payments.

And to add my pressure, i got a letter yesterday from my council saying im having a visit monday morning from benefits to go over all my documents (i have just changed jobs and they say its to check im getting the right entitlement) eveb though i have sent them all to them. Are they just checking up on me??? I also have to take half a day off work for this, which they said they dont mind, but its a new job and I feel like im being a pain to them.

Please can someone help!
£2 Savers club £0/£150
1p a day £/

Comments

• madmoney_2
    Options
    Hi Lindsay, not much advice I could give you re the bankruptcy, but regarding the council coming out to you and im afraid you are just going to have to grin and bear it, Ill admit that they normally dont do it unless theres an anomaly with your benefits, but if youve told them everything then theres nothing to hide!!
    LBM 29/07/ 07
    TOTAL DEBT: [strike]3300[/strike]1500
    DFD: Aug '08
    :rudolf:Pesky Xmas Savings Challenge: 62/500 No.006 Of Lucys Party Season Challenge 14/09/07: 4.5:mad:/28lbs:xmassmile

Official DFW Nerd Club No.641
    Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts
  • chloebelle
    Options
    You poor thing, hugs to you x :grouphug:

I think personally you should go to citizens advice, your situation is quite complex and they can usually approach creditors on your behalf
    :eek: Total debt £21,000 :eek:
    Weight loss to date - 2 st, 2lb:j
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,701 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Slightly different slant on it as you are already in a DMP.
    How much do u owe on the debts not included?
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • newmum1
    newmum1 Posts: 1,341 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi there, the council do do checks, i.e home visits when i was on mat leave they came round to my place and I was wondering why, but a) they just check that you are living at the address and they will just go through all your entitlements.
  • redpoison
    Options
    newmum dont worry about the visit i have them yearly to check on my circumstances... you will need to provide proof of your earnings though.. (again) can be a pain in the but i know!

As for your other debts all i can advice you to do is to contact cab for advice they can help with your situation... OR conact the companys (via letter) explaining your situaion thats your having difficulty in paying and offer them a payment that you can afford ....you may need to include your financial statement.. what comes in and what goes out!

hope ive helped..
  • In_Search_Of_Me
    Options
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/loans/debt-help-plan

Go here for lots on info but I think you do need to get some advice via CAB or one of the free charities as you say you are on a DMP already but have accrued debt after that arrangement. I dont know much about DMP but think that part of the agreement is that you dont accrue further debt so think you know where you stand legally. Re checking beneits etc much better to have a thorough check than go on for months being overpaid, if you are! Big hug for you. I'm sure this is a worrying time for you but once you've sorted it will feel much more in control for you! Hang in there!
    Nerd no 109 Long haulers supporters DFW #1! Even in the darkest moments, love and hope are always possible.

• doodledo_2
    doodledo_2 Posts: 4,676 Forumite
    Options
    So sorry to hear you are having a tough time.

I wouldn't worry to much about the home visit if you have already told them everything then nothing for them to find out.

I'm not sure about your other debts and the payplan as no experience of this. If you tell them about this debts could they not deal with them too?
    Proud to be dealing with my debts - DFW No: 712

03/09/09 - DEBT FREE AT LAST :D
    Racing Hypno to Save - £10/£5000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills