2»

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Scorpio33 wrote: »
    Just one question for the OP:

If you were recently diagnosed with stress and anxiety, I assume you had time off work?

If so, what did your work say to you when you returned? Surely they would have asked as to the cause of the stress and you had an opportunity to bring up this issue then? If so, what did they say?

A former colleague of mine was recently in exactly that situation. The medical certificate stated 'Work Related Stress'. What happened on the day they returned to work? They were handed a letter informing them that the disciplinary process had been started because they had exceeded the permitted absence level!
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know some cultures just expect long hours and free overtime and you either accept it or not. IT is one of them. If something happens its expected you that you stay behind but often such places have good development programmes or better pay to make it worth your while.
    It doesn't sound like your work place are very flexible. You could speak to your manager and explain you have caring responsibilities ( your child) and need to leave at a certain time. See how its received.
    If they won't accommodate then I'd look elsewhere. What's the point if your health and marriage are suffering and chances are your little one will pick up the vibes too. Life is too short.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    As someone who started their career in a city environment where the demands were endless - and like many others I often worked 80 - 100 hour weeks - I completely sympathise with your position.

While I enjoy my work, the demands are not fun. There are lots of people in the same boat.

I think the key is to try and take back some form of control by managing people's expectations. This means refusing unreasonable or unnecessary requests which impact on your home life. It also means you have to be very organised so that everyone knows exactly where they stand.

For example if you have to leave at a certain time to get home to your child - I think that is fine as long as people are aware of it. It may mean you have to work remotely to finish something in the evening, but only if truly necessary.

Realistically, in some jobs the demands are always going to be high. But you do have to manage it into something sustainable. You do have to stand up for yourself, or you find that more and more work ends up on your desk rather than going to somebody else.

I do not think you can blame project managers for this. The reality is that large projects are never going to be managed perfectly, and there will always be people who hold up the project regardless of what the project manager does. You just have to be responsible for organising your bit properly - and properly communicating what is achievable or not achievable - do not agree to take on responsibility for the entire project as that is not within your control.

If others want you to do things in the context of a broader project, they can organise themselves properly so you can do it within the reasonable timescales you communicate to the project manager - if they fail to do that, that is on them, not on you.

When I observe the people who juggle a demanding workload best (often mums with young children), they tend to insist on all meetings/calls/deadlines are in the diary so that they can manage their worklife properly - and notify people immediately if a request is not achievable.

I also think it is a good idea to have an open conversation about this with your boss. I'm sure he/she would want to know there an issue so that it can be dealt with, rather than be faced with a sudden resignation.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm salaried and if I am ask to volunteer for overtime I still get paid for the overtime.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• premevolve
    premevolve Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 19 April 2017 at 10:21AM
    Options
    Than go for sucide .

i am just kidding friends. be responsible for your work .i'm also an employee in a online dissertation writing services providing company.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure