What can I do with my old perfectly good CRT monitor?

I've recetnly replaced my old 17inch monster with a niec slim 17inch TFT.

Now I don't want to throw away the CRT as it works fine. I asked local schools if they would like them but even they dont need them as they too use TFT's now!

Charities don't sell electrical equipment so I can't just give it to them either.

Any ideas on where else I can donate it??

It must be an incresingly big problem with people getting through so many computers as they become cheaper.

Thanks
L
"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant." Amos Bronson Alcott

Comments

• trisha
    trisha Posts: 488 Forumite
    I work in a charity shop, what they do with anything electrical is 'give' them to someone to dispose of, what he does with them I don't know.
  • Edinburghlass_2
    Edinburghlass_2 Posts: 32,680
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    See if there is a freecycle group in your area. I belong to one and just last week a monitor was placed on the list and was taken very quickly.
  • dccarm
    dccarm Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    It's good to see the schools are spending our money wisely! I'd hate to think how many books they could buy if they bought CRT monitors rather than TFT.

But anyway, you could try phoning local youth clubs. My partner works for the council youth network and the youth clubs are always looking for computer equipment as they don't get funding for that type of thing.
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Put it away in a nice dry shed or something. You never know when you might be glad of it again.

After trying flat screens I've actually gone back to using my old CRT as I find it gives a clearer view.
  • jam
    jam Posts: 122 Forumite
    dccarm wrote:
    It's good to see the schools are spending our money wisely! I'd hate to think how many books they could buy if they bought CRT monitors rather than TFT.

I hate to think how much more electricity they'd use if they had CRTs, and how many fewer machines they could fit in each classroom because of the larger CRT size.

£0.02
    jam
  • andy88_2
    andy88_2 Posts: 3,676
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    At least the schools can think - the electricity saving will pay for the new monitor in a year or two.
  • penrhyn
    penrhyn Posts: 15,215
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    British Heart Foundation will take electrical goods at their shops, they took my old PC monitor.
    You can find your local shop here:

http://www.bhf.org.uk/area/index_home.asp?SecID=44
    That gum you like is coming back in style.
  • dccarm
    dccarm Posts: 1,263 Forumite
    I stand corrected. The lifetime cost of a TFT is indeed lower than that of a CRT. This study here suggests a saving of about £10 per year in electricity, although it was done in 2002 so I don't know how accurate that would be now.
  • lipidicman
    lipidicman Posts: 2,598 Forumite
    Stick a second graphics card in and use them both?
  • how about building one of these :idea:

image.php?src=1675&ts=1055118220

see http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-160-1.htm
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills