Facing up to bankruptcy!.. need help!

Options
12346»

Comments

• KJ2886
    KJ2886 Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Ill ring them up in the morning to make sure but sounds right! I was expecting an IPA just I was just so shocked by the £180 if i was to pay that on top of my Council Tax.

Got an appointment with the bank on tuesday to open a new basic account (20 miles away! no nearer appointment till the 25th in my town!) - I was hoping they could just unfreeze mine but doesnt look likely with halifax! Annoying that my benefits are due to be paid in Tuesday, Wednesday and payday Friday too with no bank to get them paid in to!
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I don't know if you have any debts with Santander.

I was able to open a basic account from scratch and within 30 minutes we had his new sort code and account number.

He still had to visit a branch to prove ID but we had the details to give the DWP.
  • KJ2886
    Options
    No I dont have any debts with Santander, I did look at them but their card was strange, get all your money paid into one and a top up card to transfer money to to spend with
    I did pop into natwest saturday to get an appointment and they rang me back but didnt have time to get to them before they shut on Saturday so could try them again tomorrow for an appointment or wait till tuesday for Halifax
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Halifax are very unfriendly towards B.R, get well away from them.
  • stephen1988
    Options
    Wow... I thought I was in bad debt, came here looking for advice but I think I'll just keep saving money and wipe the debt.
    I can't imagine being in your position KJ, kudos to you for not getting the next flight to Mexico, I think I would have.
  • KJ2886
    Options
    Hi
    I recieved a letter today about the possibility of a BRO
    it says
    'I write to inform you that the Official Reciever has formed the provisional view that your conduct may warrent an application to the court for a bankruptcy restrictions order. it is for the Secretary of state for business, innovaton and skills to decide whether or not it is in the public interest to take proceeding against you pursuant to schedule 4a of the insolvency act....etc'

I thouht I would get one anyway due to part of my spending was gambling
    They aske for copies of the documentation about the CCJ, credit card statements, details of balance transfers and when last used the cards for spending.
    Is this normal info? just worried the way its worded
    Thanks
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Options
    KJ2886 wrote: »
    Hi
    I recieved a letter today about the possibility of a BRO
    it says
    'I write to inform you that the Official Reciever has formed the provisional view that your conduct may warrent an application to the court for a bankruptcy restrictions order. it is for the Secretary of state for business, innovaton and skills to decide whether or not it is in the public interest to take proceeding against you pursuant to schedule 4a of the insolvency act....etc'

I thouht I would get one anyway due to part of my spending was gambling
    They aske for copies of the documentation about the CCJ, credit card statements, details of balance transfers and when last used the cards for spending.
    Is this normal info? just worried the way its worded
    Thanks

Give them what they want. If you get a BRO, it's likely to be 2.5 to 3.5 years. It's not the end of the world.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/bankruptcy-restrictions-orders-and-undertakings/bankruptcy-restrictions-orders-and-undertakings

https://www.insolvencydirect.bis.gov.uk/IESdatabase/viewbrobrusummary-new.asp
  • peterkay369
    Options
    Yes its just routine info, honestly I provided very little information to them as I didnt have it. Ended up with a 4 year BRU in the end.

Its worth knowing that the BRU will run alongside your bankruptcy, not in addition to it. So if they offer you one, dont drag it out as I did.

So if you get offered a 2 year BRU, it will start from when you sign the form, rather than adding to the end of your bankruptcy (which would make it total 3 years).

PM me if you need me to go over anything :)
  • KJ2886
    Options
    Thank you, I dont have a lot of the info and statements as dont have access to some or all of my online banking/credit card accounts now and only got limited amount of paper statements

Bankruptcy started begining of july so still early days which is prob a good thing if I do get the BRU and sooner it starts, it says no decision has been made yet about the BRU/BRO until they recieve some paperwork and info from me

When I got the CCJ I did go to get it set aside, even tho that was after i filed for bankruptcy, I know it would have been included anyway tho, But i filled in my defence form and sent that off when I got a stay/set aside, should probably follow up that too as never heard anything since - they may have not done anything with it as the bankruptcy was accepted before this too but still would be nice to get an outcome/one less thing one less thing added
  • peterkay369
    Options
    By the fact that they have sent the letter to me would say that they are going to pursue a BRU.

Sorry - just being honest.

I think I literally just gave the OR the login details to my online account, and they sorted the rest. They had copies of statements from all the creditors anyway. I had no paperwork, depression and denial meant it all ended up in the fire. Not my proudest moment.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure