Pavers V concrete

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
9 replies 1.1K views
BelfastbelleBelfastbelle Forumite
365 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
Any good recommendations for suppliers/fitters?

Replies

• kyralkyral Forumite
    167 Posts
    hi, i got paver bricks down to park my car on, lovely pink ones lol. Theyve been down 6 years now. No matter what i try I cannot stop moss growing between them so twice a year (April + October) i spray with weed killer and then a week ortwo later its a hands and knees job to dig out the moss! They have also sunken slightly where the car parks on them. The big advantage is they easy to keep clean and look very nice! (apart from the moss:rotfl: ).
  • WitlessWitless Forumite
    728 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have the same problem as kyral.

If I was doing it again I would go fo 'patterned' concrete - the concrete is laid then 'moulded' with an impression - usually paver effect.

One firm I've seen doing it is called 'Concrete Impressions' - they don't have a website but a quick 'google' will throw up a few sites that show what I mean.

One tip - lay the concrete a bit thicker than you think you need - cars etc are getting heavier.
  • edited 12 April 2009 at 10:21AM
    BelfastbelleBelfastbelle Forumite
    365 Posts
    edited 12 April 2009 at 10:21AM
    thanks for that both of you
  • dmxdavedmxdave Forumite
    1.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that both of you:
    - only thing I thought about the stencil pavers is that it is, in effect, a very thick layer of concrete- very dif to get up if I wanted to change in a few yrs

Why would you want to change something that is completely funtional? ;)
    Dave
  • IvanOpinionIvanOpinion Forumite
    21.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't touch crazy paving (so 1970's)

As far as the coloured brick driveways are concerned they look good but can be quite expensive to put down properly. One chap I can recommend is Stuart Kennedy. He did a fantastic job of a patio for us and came recommended by a couple of people who had driveways done (and they still look great after several years). He does need a bit of prompting and reminding to get him started though ... however once he starts he finishes the job (and did not ask for a penny from us until we were 100% satisfied with the finished job).

If you decide on tarmac then the best in the game seems to be Joe Crilly

I wouldn't touch stencilling for a driveway (personal preference). I have seen a few done this way and in the wet it feels slippy as hell to walk on .. maybe the weight of a car would counteract this but I would not like to chance it

ivan
    Don't waste time on other peoples first world problems
  • our neighbour had a pattern imprinted concrete drive put in. he has since moved on and the new owner works for a building firm. often brings a class 2 HGV home with him and parks it on the drive. it is still in perfect condition. not a crack.

if you are looking fo rsomething long term i'd get the pattern imprinted concrete. no maintainance, lasts for ages and no weeds!!!

- if you don't intend on staying in the house long term i'd just get gravel
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
  • ixwoodixwood Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Have you thought about gravel? easiest and nicest option imo. Softer than a load of concrete or crazy paving.

And it'll drain properly, not adding to surface water problems.
  • thanks to all of you for your comments:T
  • WitlessWitless Forumite
    728 Posts
    ✭✭
    might get some advice on gravel/stones. How do you keep that weed-free tho?

Short answer - you don't! My front garden is living proof.:mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

17 Netflix hacks

Cut costs & get more from your subscription

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

Incl M&S calendar release date

MSE Deals