Reserved Seats

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
9 replies 3.2K views
Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
3.4K Posts
1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
I recently reserved 1st class seats on Cross Country from Berwick on Tweed to Glasgow. When I got on the train someone was sitting in my seat because there was someone sitting in their reserved seats who refused to move. The lady concerned said it wasn't a problem as there were other seats available although it meant I could not sit beside my husband. No staff appeared until we were almost at our destination so we were unable to seek advice on the train. Any advice? Should I complain? This is not the first time something like this has happened.
Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it says somewhere that reserved seats are not guaranteed somewhere in all the blurb.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • wealdroamwealdroam Forumite
    19.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recently reserved 1st class seats on Cross Country from Berwick on Tweed to Glasgow. When I got on the train someone was sitting in my seat because there was someone sitting in their reserved seats who refused to move. The lady concerned said it wasn't a problem as there were other seats available although it meant I could not sit beside my husband. No staff appeared until we were almost at our destination so we were unable to seek advice on the train. Any advice? Should I complain? This is not the first time something like this has happened.
    Before you complain, ask yourself what it is that you hope to achieve?

In my opinion, you should've sought out the on board train staff and resolved the issue at the time.
  • Toni'sfriendToni'sfriend Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tend to agree with both of you (thought it might be the case that they didn't guarantee the seat). Just seeking another opinion. At least we got a seat even though the lady concerned was extremely rude. On the way to Berwick two weeks earlier we went 2nd class and the train was massively overcrowded (hence the 1st class on the return journey). People and lots of huge luggage all the way up the aisles (sure it was a safety issue). No sign of any staff members and unable to get out of seat to find them. Put it down to experience.
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Johno100Johno100 Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    And don't make the mistake I made once. Rushed to catch my train, found someone in what I thought was my reserved seat, asked them to move and only then realised I was actually on the extremely delayed previous train on that service. Sheepishly went off and found a seat in another carriage. :embarasse
  • EmmyLou30EmmyLou30 Forumite
    586 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I'd have told her 'if there are plenty of other seats, go use them, and I can sit in my allotted seat for the rest of my journey with my husband as intended and paid for' and then stood there till she moved. People like that need people to stand up to them.
    I've had it before where 2 loud women thought they'd bully me and a friend out of our reserved seats and we pointed out that if they stopped mouthing off for 2 minutes they'd hear the tannoy announcement that they were getting on OUR train, and their one had been cancelled due to a fatality on the line further along and us being delayed by 45 minutes. So their reservations were no longer valid. They walked off eventually giving us filthy looks!
  • edited 7 April 2017 at 2:25PM
    esuhlesuhl Forumite
    9.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 7 April 2017 at 2:25PM
    I had a rude woman tell me to **** off when I asked her to move from my reserved seat. It became clear she wasn't going to move, so I put my bag on the luggage rack and sat on her lap.

She moved rather quickly then. Sometimes you just have to use some extra charm and persuasion to get people to see sense.
  • RetrogamerRetrogamer Forumite
    4.2K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd have told them if someone was sitting on their reserved seat then that's their problem and them sitting on the seat i reserved was creating a problem for me and just stand over them staring down at them until they moved.

A lot of people don't like confrontation and people know this and test their luck. I had an old lady jump in front of me in a queue in Asda and got a mouthful from here when i told her the queue started back there (pointing behind me)

People get too used to behaving that way and everyone just tolerating it.
    I don't think there is much the rail company will be able to do to assist though.
    All your base are belong to us.
  • agrinnallagrinnall
    23.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    esuhl wrote: »
    I had a rude woman tell me to **** off when I asked her to move from her reserved seat.

I'm not surprised, I'd say something similar if you asked me to move from my reserved seat. I'm therefore going to assume it's a typo and you meant to say that she was in your reserved seat.
  • Voyager2002Voyager2002 Forumite
    14.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have often received compensation from train companies following journeys when I could not use my reserved seat. The absence of staff in first is surprising and really unacceptable.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals