Navy & Copper - cheap decor ideas?

Options
Our venue is an old mill which has recently been refurbished. It has red brick walls, stainless steel bar tops and dark flooring. We've chosen colours of navy and copper, possibly with an accent colour like turquoise as we run the risk of things being a bit dark.

I know that we want plenty of fairy lights strung up and lots of candles. I really like the idea of copper lanterns dotted around and for table centerpieces and was thinking if I start early (wedding is March 2018) I might be able to pick them up cheap at car boots, even if I have to spray paint a few the right colour.

Any other suggestions?

Comments

• shiprob195
    shiprob195 Posts: 746 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Primark have strings of fairy lights in copper/rose gold.
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    :D:D:DWeight loss so far 5 stone 8 lbs

:rotfl:Loss needed to get to target NONE!!! TARGET MEMBER :D
  • KateySW
    KateySW Posts: 107 Forumite
    Options
    I've been saving jam jars to put copper wired fairy lights in. I saw that somewhere and it looks lovely. Managed to get some cheap battery powered fairy lights from IKEA. You can also buy some cheap vases from there and fill them with flowers. We're going for gypsophila - cheap, lasts for ages and beautiful.

We've also got some bunting to hang over where the cake is going to be. Again, just some cheap white ones that we bought from eBay I think. But you can buy them in all sorts of colours.

Best advice I can give is to join Pinterest - a lot of the ideas on there can be DIY and reasonably priced, it's been so useful! Good luck! :)
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    For cheap copper pots also try local auctions.

They will probably need bugging g but they can be found cheap.

Ikeaaso have cheap lanterns. We got some for £1 each in the sale. They would need to be painted. They were pink and blue. But a nice source of light and thy change the colours each season.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    You could make some super bunting with navy ribbon and copper foily cardboard - just cut into shape and thread - you could also alternate with glossy navy or lighter blue ones - or even print out images of the pair of you.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks all, some good ideas there :)

I saw some copper lanterns at an antiques shop on Friday and I was sorely tempted but at £37 for three I forced myself to leave them where they were!

I am going to put together a "shopping list" and see what the venue has/is willing to help with. They may also be able to source or hire some things cheaper than we could.
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I would think you could pick up things cheaper than the venue - but maybe copper is harder to source than silver.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure