Maths!

Options
I applied for a job today that stated applicants must have GCSE grade A- D or equivalent in Maths and English. Thought that was quite lenient really as most places say A- C.
Anyway I meet all the criteria ( there was quite a lot) except I don't have the maths. I only got grade E.
I manage OK day to day without it and this job is for a customer service manager so I can't see there would be a great deal of maths involved.
Now I'm worried if I get an interview I will be thrown out because of the bad grade. However could the fact I did my GCSE over 20 years ago and have successfully worked ever since be enough? I have other qualifications at higher level than GCSE.

Comments

• ft_buyer
    ft_buyer Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    With a previous employer who had minimum requirements that I didn't meet, they were happy to take my (unrelated) degree and work experience into account and waive them.

Given that we're talking about a piece of paper from more than 20 years in the past, this employer might be willing to consider that, no harm in asking.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I know how to use a calculator for adding, subtracting and multiplication and know how to work out percentages etc. If the role involved a lot of maths I definitely wouldn't have applied because I know I don't enjoy maths and I'm not good at maths. Just worried it could be a case of the computer says no, rather than someone taking the time to see my other strengths.
  • General_Grant
    General_Grant Posts: 4,842 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I applied for a job today that stated applicants must have GCSE grade A- D or equivalent in Maths and English. Thought that was quite lenient really as most places say A- C.
    Anyway I meet all the criteria ( there was quite a lot) except I don't have the maths. I only got grade E.
    I manage OK day to day without it and this job is for a customer service manager so I can't see there would be a great deal of maths involved.
    Now I'm worried if I get an interview I will be thrown out because of the bad grade. However could the fact I did my GCSE over 20 years ago and have successfully worked ever since be enough? I have other qualifications at higher level than GCSE.

GCSE is a Level 2 qualification.
    There is a Level 2 Numeracy qualification (provided by a number of awarding bodies) which should be achievable. See what Learn Direct can offer you - for free, I should think, though things may have changed since I last looked at such an opportunity for someone.
  • Masomnia
    Masomnia Posts: 19,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't stress about it. Just don't lie. You've obviously got good work experience, and I highly doubt that they'd turn someone down with good experience that interviewed well because of that.

'9 GCSEs grades B - E incl English and Maths' or something like that on your CV, and leave it there.
    “I could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled.” - P.G. Wodehouse
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure