Tooo much credit

Options
Hello

Please could someone advise me. I have quite a few credit cards that I pay interest on. I have a good credit rating, however I've tried to get a new credit card that will enable me to do a balance transfer to give me release of paying interest. I've not been excepted my any card companys as I have too much debt on my file. Does anyone know a way round this? I'm not using the new card to get new debt, I just want to use it as a balance transfer to help me pay some debt off without Paying loads of interest and it never getting lower 😩

Thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,885 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

Balance transfers, consolidation, are all signs that you might be in financial difficulties.

You need to stop looking at this from the perspective of further borrowing, which is essentially what your doing, post an SOA see where your money is going.

Perhaps you need to admit you've borrowed too much and need a debt soloution, your SOA will tell us.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Yes - the way round it is incredibly simple. There's a few steps to it:

- Cut up your existing cards
    - Put together your SOA as Sourcrates says - you'll find the link in the "sticky" thread at the top of this board
    - review your income and outgoings, make sure everything is accurate, and establish how much of a surplus you have each month - you can post the SOA into here ("format for MSE") if that helps - you'll be amazed where we can find savings you may not have thought of!
    - throw that surplus plus anything else you can save at the highest interest card first
    - one that first card is cleared, close the account and turn your attention to the next highest interest card
    - repeat until debt free
    - continue to work to budget, only now your surplus goes to savings, and you have your money working for you, rather than you just working to pay off debt.

It might be sensible at some stage in the process to think about 0% cards, but first you need to prioritise budgeting, otherwise you're moving the problem, not dealing with it.
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Spend less than you earn. Then find ways to:

-spend less
    -earn more

It really is that simple.
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    Hello Katie.
    A few thoughts in red.
    Hello

Please could someone advise me. I have quite a few credit cards that I pay interest on. Why have you got a few, how many have you got? Did you max out on some and applied for more? Is your spending out of control? I have a good credit rating, however I've tried to get a new credit card that will enable me to do a balance transfer to give me release of paying interest. Didn't you realize that you might have to pay interest at some point? I've not been excepted my any card companys as I have too much debt on my file. Does anyone know a way round this? Yes, don't spend more than you earn. I'm not using the new card to get new debt, How will lenders know that, given you already show you spend more than you earn? I just want to use it as a balance transfer to help me pay some debt off without Paying loads of interest and it never getting lower 😩

Thanks

As has been mentioned above you need to get to grips why you are spending too much money. I suggest you destroy the majority of your cards and write to the providers that you are closing the account.

Then sit down with your statements, bills, bank accounts etc, and fill out a Statement of Affairs. This will show why you are struggling. The good people on here can advise ways of cutting down your expenditure so you can throw more at your debts.

http://www.stoozing.com/calculator/soa.php

This is fixable, but will not go away on it's own, or if you patch your finances up with sticking plaster. Give it a try.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You are probably failing the affordability test if you have a lot of cards. As others have said there is no easy way out of debt. Just getting more and more cards is a recipe for disaster. Are you paying more than minimums on each card?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure