What level of proof for gross misconduct

Options

Comments

• marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    Two of the letters had definitely been opened. The first was out of the envelope completely and left with a stack of other mail. The one today had been opened and didn't have enough glue left on the flap to stick it back down so although it was in the envelope it's unlikely it went through the mail that way. I'm confident that my belief the mail has been tampered with is reasonable but not sure whether that's enough to form a reasonable belief she did it

Ive had envelopes that don't stick at all, and when Ive licked them, theyve stuck even less.

Luckily they were birthday cards which i was giving in person, but no reason posted mail cant have a rubbish envelope.

Just send a letter to yourself from a "friend" telling you how generous are for planning on offering your nanny a 20% raise. See if she perks up...
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Is there something that is worrying her about the change of school? For example could she be worried she could lose her job over it? Maybe she won't be able to take the child to the school you have in mind for some reason.

If she has worked for you for three years with no issues, gets on well with the children and you are confident the children are safe and happy with her then I would try to get to the bottom of this so she can continue her employment.
  • sangie595
    sangie595 Posts: 6,092 Forumite
    Options
    Nicki wrote: »
    Two of the letters had definitely been opened. The first was out of the envelope completely and left with a stack of other mail. The one today had been opened and didn't have enough glue left on the flap to stick it back down so although it was in the envelope it's unlikely it went through the mail that way. I'm confident that my belief the mail has been tampered with is reasonable but not sure whether that's enough to form a reasonable belief she did it
    I've had loads of mail like that. I don't have a nanny. You would be amazed what goes through the mail quite adequately. And now we are down to two letters, which "may" have been opened. Go to a tribunal with that and you will be slaughtered. To be honest, I think your suspicion seems rather flimsy. If you don't trust her now, then your only realistic option is to pay her off. But you do not have sufficient evidence to support your belief.
  • Nicki
    Nicki Posts: 8,166 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Sangie. I'd hoped you'd respond and I take on board what you've said.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'd go with a lockable letter box to prevent access, or basic CCTV to catch her in the act!

You could send yourself some interesting looking letters, perhaps containing UV ink inside one, so a UV light would tell you if she read it...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,174 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What about a word with your local post office about the state your mail is coming through the letter-box in?

That's if you know and have a local post office it comes from. I mentioned to mine once about post going missing (my P45!) and it turned out our regular postie was on maternity leave and they had people not used to the route.

If I'd been at my old house though and the mail coming from the town centre, I'd have had no chance of shedding any light on a problem.

Would the kids be home when she opens the mail, if she does? Are they old enough/able enough to tell you?
  • happyandcontented
    Options
    Do you know why she may be doing this? If I had such suspicions I would also be wondering if she was searching drawers and/or other personal documents so the obvious solution a lockable post box wouldn't really address the issue for me.

This is a trust issue and if you can't trust her then I don't think you have any alternative but to try to end her employment.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    What about a word with your local post office about the state your mail is coming through the letter-box in?

That's if you know and have a local post office it comes from. I mentioned to mine once about post going missing (my P45!) and it turned out our regular postie was on maternity leave and they had people not used to the route.

If I'd been at my old house though and the mail coming from the town centre, I'd have had no chance of shedding any light on a problem.

Would the kids be home when she opens the mail, if she does? Are they old enough/able enough to tell you?
    It would be better to talk to Royal Mail about the post seeing as the Post Office have nothing to do with delivering it ;)
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If I were steaming open envelopes, I'd make sure I sealed them back up with some glue.
  • Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There are many type of covert cameras available, if you think this is happening, set a few up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure