DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• thehistorygirl
    thehistorygirl Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 3 February 2018 at 8:10PM
    Options
    I'm four years into my DMP now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I!!!8217;m just about to receive a ppi payout from NatWest which will pay them off completely so I'm hoping to be able to decrease the finish date now to the end of this year. I'm now thinking about the end and tidying everything up and have logged into both Experian and Noddle to check my report and Barclaycard, who I've been paying every single month since the DMP started have completely disappeared. I know it's not paid off. They've not sent me a statement or any communication for over a year so I'm reluctant to get in touch with them. Obviously the money is going somewhere as Payplan keep accepting it but why is there no record? It hasn't been in my report for well over a year now.
    LBM 7th Jan 2014
    Debt Jan 14 £5443
    Debt Mar 15 £4734
    Debt Dec 2017 £2233 less £393.25 Plevin payment £1870
    Debt Jun 19 £385.55
    DFD Aug 19. Final Plevin payout and last PayPlan payment
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,905 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I’m four years into my DMP now and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I’m just about to receive a ppi payout from NatWest which will pay them off completely so I’m hoping to be able to decrease the finish date now to the end of this year.im now thinking about the end and tidying everything up and have logged into both Experian and Noddle to check my report and Barclaycard, who I’ve been paying every single month since the DMP started have completely disappeared. I know it’s not paid off. They’ve not sent me a statement or any communication for over a year so I’m reluctant to get in touch with them. Obviously the most is going somewhere as Payplan keep accepting it but why is there no record. It hasn’t been in my report for well over a year now.

Defaulted debts stay on your file six years, then automatically drop off.

Could that be the reason ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 3 February 2018 at 8:01AM
    Options
    Hi all

Noticing that there has been lots of talk of DCAs I just wanted to pipe in and say that Wescot are managing our 2 huge Halifax loans and have payment plans set up. Ive been paying them approx a third of the original monthly payments and they have been absolutely fine.

Yesterday I received letters from them saying we accept your £1.00 per month and will not contact you as long as you keep the payments up to date :think:

Promptly got on the phone to check they have been receiving my payments and the nice gentleman said oh yes but are you sure you are not struggling to pay the amounts you are as we dont want to leave you short :D

So for us the DCAs have been very accommodating and had no stress whatsoever from them :T

Another positive from me, we tried PPI complaints and so far no luck but yesterday we received a letter telling us we are being paid £187 plevin thingy. Not a fortune but it is £187 we never had :D

Remember when I was a complete wreck worrying over DMPs etc. Now I love it, the best decision I have made for years :)
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,905 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 February 2018 at 3:11PM
    Options
    motivated wrote: »
    Hi all

Noticing that there has been lots of talk of DCA`s I just wanted to pipe in and say that Wescot are managing our 2 huge Halifax loans and have payment plans set up. Ive been paying them approx a third of the original monthly payments and they have been absolutely fine.

Yesterday I received letters from them saying we accept your £1.00 per month and will not contact you as long as you keep the payments up to date :think:

So for us the DCAs have been very accommodating and had no stress whatsoever from them :T

Always gives me a rye smile reading posts such as this one, it is remarkable the change in attitude from most debt collectors today, although, lets not get carried away, they have been threatened with removal of their consumer credit license, and large fines, by the FCA if they don't tow the line on affordability and treating debtors fairly, but it is good to see them actually follow the rules instead of flouting them.

But most of all its good for you guys at the sharp end, prior to FCA intervention, DCA`s had a well deserved reputation for saying, and doing exactly what they liked, flouting rules and regulations on a minute by minute basis, it was 1st Credit who had there wrists slapped first, large fines, and a complete clear out of their management team, was the result, they were one of the worst offenders, and lets not forget, debt collectors attitudes towards there "customers" led to the creation of forums such as this one, and others.

So things have changed for the better, and nowadays theirs no reason to fear debt management of any kind, its usually the debtor that needs the convincing something has to change, once you've accepted that fact, there's no mountain you cant climb.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Thanks for that, sourcrates::T Very reassuring information for all us worryguts:j
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I am resigned to the fact I need to start a DMP soon and having read all the excellent advice on here there is only one thing left that is worrying me.
    I have read my employers rules and I must inform my manager if I go onto a DMP and I am dreading having to do this.
    Has anyone else experienced this and how did you overcome the fear?
  • motivated
    motivated Posts: 3,044 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post PPI Party Pooper
    edited 3 February 2018 at 7:32PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    So things have changed for the better, and nowadays theirs no reason to fear debt management of any kind, its usually the debtor that needs the convincing something has to change, once you've accepted that fact, there's no mountain you cant climb.

Thank you Sourcrates

I was one of the many who was petrified at the thought of debt collectors etc. :eek: Now I’m straight on the phone to them without a second thought.

And you’re right once you accept that you will be dealing with your debt however you choose to tackle it things can only get better. Our Original creditors and even the DCAs have been very accommodating with us and I’ve not had any grief from any of them.

If anyone is thinking they need to go down the DMP route, don’t hide from it, don’t avoid taking the first step and most of all don’t panic. I’ve been there, done that and now I’m like :D:D:D
    M
    Emptying my lake with a teaspoon
  • thehistorygirl
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Defaulted debts stay on your file six years, then automatically drop off.

Could that be the reason ?

No, Barclaycard have never defaulted me. It's very strange. I think I only owe about £200, so no big shakes, but I would like to get everything sorted over the next 12 months.
    LBM 7th Jan 2014
    Debt Jan 14 £5443
    Debt Mar 15 £4734
    Debt Dec 2017 £2233 less £393.25 Plevin payment £1870
    Debt Jun 19 £385.55
    DFD Aug 19. Final Plevin payout and last PayPlan payment
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 4 February 2018 at 12:00AM
    Options
    As we are now going down the self managed route and need to set up standing orders, I wrote to all the DCA's requesting their bank details to make payments. PRA have written back, no problem....next to reply have been Link, who have given us THEIR bank details, but also enclosed a Standing Order Mandate, asking us to fill in OUR bank details. Now....correct me if I'm wrong, but surely there is no reason for them to have OUR bank detail? All I need to do is go online and set up the standing order, ???
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    I am resigned to the fact I need to start a DMP soon and having read all the excellent advice on here there is only one thing left that is worrying me.
    I have read my employers rules and I must inform my manager if I go onto a DMP and I am dreading having to do this.
    Has anyone else experienced this and how did you overcome the fear?
    Do you work in financial services,if not i don’t see that it’s anyone’s business but yours
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure