DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 18 September 2017 at 5:48PM
    Options
    I sent off a SAR to Santander a while ago as I had a couple of current accounts and a credit card with them. None of these were anything to do with my DMP, I'd closed them before. All trace of them has disappeared from my credit reports.

I asked Santander for all the info they held on me for all theses accounts as I want to check on PPI, overlimit fees,unfair charges, the lot. All the accounts date from when they were Alliance & Leicester ones which was subsequently taken over by Santander. I was not aware that the credit card was not administered by Santander themselves and have no existing paperwork for it.

The letter they sent me thanks me for my £10 and says :

'......we are not the Data Controller for Alliance & Leicester cards, you will need to send this request directly to MBNA at the following address......

Please note the £10 fee in respect of the Subject Access Request relates to searches made on our systems only. Should you send another request to MBNA they may require the appropriate £10 fee to action your request'

Obviously I'll contact MBNA before parting with any money but I just wondered if Santander's way of doing this sounds right to you. At the time I had the card I'm sure it was purely a Santander one. I've had a bellyful of MBNA over various cards of theirs that I had, I'm not keen to have to jump through their hoops again:(
  • Julie67
    Julie67 Posts: 2,362 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Sourcrates pretty much what I thought. Thanks for confirming it for me. The ball is in there court.
    Carbootcrazy Yes I'm pleased although not counting my chickens yet. I suppose they could come back with the paperwork at any time in the future. Fingers crossed they don't though!
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    btoTHeg wrote: »
    Thanks for the good advice Sourcrates, when I get StepChange to remove the debt can I also get them to reduce the direct debit payment I'm making to them?
    I'm currently paying £489 a month and Nationwide is £49 of that, from experience do others drop their monthly payment or leave as is?
    Thanks again

Noting what Sourcrates had said about this being your DMP - which is true, but realistically only if you are 'self managing'. SC might agree to reducing your payment but only if you provide them with a revised I&E which suggests your remaining disposal income suggests so. The way they work out your DMP in terms of 'years' is that they do similar to the method used by others referred to as 'snowballing' - which means that as you clear each debt to an individual creditor the amount you pay stays the same and the payments allocated to the remainder are increased.

Appreciating you are trying to do the right thing - why not consider putting the extra money you have aside in an emergency fund. Just a thought.
  • Emm1E
    Options
    Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice please...I recently sent CCA requests to all of my creditors. I've received replies from Barclaycard on 3 of my accounts. They have provided paperwork for 2 accounts but on one of them, the first page which says "you have the right to cancel this agreement...." is addressed to my married name but the address I was at when I took the credit card out, however I was not married at that time. Is there something odd about this or is this normal?
    Also, one account has currently come back unenforceable. I'm currently only paying a token payment, should I continue with this or stop it?
    Also, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in these agreements anyway? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    Emm1E wrote: »
    Hi, I'd really appreciate some advice please...I recently sent CCA requests to all of my creditors. I've received replies from Barclaycard on 3 of my accounts. They have provided paperwork for 2 accounts but on one of them, the first page which says "you have the right to cancel this agreement...." is addressed to my married name but the address I was at when I took the credit card out, however I was not married at that time. Is there something odd about this or is this normal?
    Also, one account has currently come back unenforceable. I'm currently only paying a token payment, should I continue with this or stop it?
    Also, I'm not really sure what I should be looking for in these agreements anyway? Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thank you

Join all about debt they can help you.
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • dynomot
    Options
    I thought I'd report back. Not much has happened really. I've spoken to all my creditors now and have recieved various emails confirming they'll work with stepchange StepChange who are going to start my DMP in October. No phone calls at home yet, but several long winded passed from one person to another at my (our - my wife's and I's bank). They have put a stop on any communication to me for sixty days to give me time to contact them, "officially" was the word if memory serves. We have moved all our current accounts to a different bank and my wife is servicing our only joint unsecured debt - our joint overdraft in our old joint account herself. All our direct debits to do with the bills and morgage (mortgage is with our old bank) now come out of the new joint account.

I'm still worried that our old bank won't play ball, despite StepChange saying they should. So I sit here waiting for the default notices to come from my creditors, a complete anathema to me, I've never been late on any payment in my life before, but I just can't pay any more.

My wife is still very angry over my deciet, not my debt. She has every right to be and I just feel so guilty and ashamed I didn't speak to her before. She basically has said you sort it explain what we have to do and I'll do my bit, but I shall want you to open every letter you recieve in front of me and I will take charge of all debit cards (credit cards are chopped and gone). She wants, and will get absolute transparancy from me going forwards. All I can say really is that it is better than the debt and deceit.
  • philip1701
    Options
    One of our obligations got sold! It was MBNA and now been sold to PRA gathering. MBNA had beforehand consented to my £1 installment so I've quite recently drop the standing request and set up one to PRA for a similar sum.

I had additionally asked for my CCA from MBNA, so I have kept in touch with PRA and let them know the above.
  • Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    dynomot wrote: »
    I thought I'd report back......
    My wife is still very angry over my deciet, not my debt. She has every right to be and I just feel so guilty and ashamed I didn't speak to her before. She basically has said you sort it explain what we have to do and I'll do my bit, but I shall want you to open every letter you recieve in front of me and I will take charge of all debit cards (credit cards are chopped and gone). She wants, and will get absolute transparancy from me going forwards. All I can say really is that it is better than the debt and deceit.

Good to hear that things are getting sorted and I'm sure your 'old' bank will play ball -to be honest, there's not much else they can do. Try not to beat yourself up about this though. It's one thing to feel guilty about not coming clean sooner -but we all make mistakes. I can see that your wife is on your side, which is great and she may be angry for a while, but once the DMP payments start to go and you see those debts reducing, hopefully you can just get back to normal living.

I was in your wife's position - we ended up in a DMP because my other half got himself into a real financial pickle. I joined the DMP simply so that the debt would be cleared sooner. We had separate accounts back then and separate ex-marital commitments. I could service my financial arrangements, in the end he could not. Such is life. I was :mad: at the beginning -but soon forgave him :)

We have a joint account now and, admittedly, I now manage all the financial affairs (even managed to win a PPI claim recently). He's happy for me to do that anyway and it's removed his worries (which is the main thing).

Good luck with the DMP.
  • January2015
    Options
    philip1701 wrote: »
    One of our obligations got sold! It was MBNA and now been sold to PRA gathering. MBNA had beforehand consented to my £1 installment so I've quite recently drop the standing request and set up one to PRA for a similar sum.

I had additionally asked for my CCA from MBNA, so I have kept in touch with PRA and let them know the above.

How old is your MBNA account?

We settled ours through PRA for 10% of the balance because it was unenforceable :)
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • Leanneglos1
    Options
    Soooooo annoyed������ progressive money who are my biggest creditor have offered me 50% resettlement figure....does anyone have a spare £6000!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure