DMP Mutual Support Thread - Part 12

Options

Comments

• Suseka97
    Suseka97 Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A quick, but :j update...

Having completed my annual review -I decided it was worth checking some of the balances as I hadn't done it since the last few of my creditors had sold my debt on to a DCA. I usually check balances when debts are sold on, but due to work and other family pressures -I had let that slip.

Just got the last of the updated statements from 3 debts with the PRA Group and the amounts owed to them are lower than SC had recorded. Have tonight updated my balances and I've now hit the 80% paid (one of my milestones) and reduced my DFD by 1 month.

Can't tell you how good that feels - only 10 months more and I'll be free of debt :T

So to end the evening I just want to encourage anyone out there who is undecided whether to take control of their situation and take that first step - please, please do so. My only regret was that I didn't do this sooner. My debt position was brought about mostly due to my husband sticking his head in the sand and refusing to come clean with me about how bad our situation was (due to loss of income) and so our debts grew for over a year more than they should have. But we are where we are and I've found the whole DMP experience overall a good one and post-DMP I'll be turning my attention to the mortgage.
  • Bepop
    Bepop Posts: 26 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi there..just read your wee post and wanted to say OH WOW!! Because I haven't been posting that long I wasn't sure if I was allowed!! Truly fantastic to hear your great news!! I think what I'm learning so far from reading the posts is the utter determination that must kick in. To come from total despair to then shear motivation to beat the debts and build a better life, that's all I want. You are a fantastic example of coming through the other end. I think if I know I've got such good mentors like yourself to keep me right it's the only way I can get through this mess. The words debt, creditors, bad credit, debt agencies etc scare the pants off me and most of all what the future holds. Again, I'm so so pleased for you xx
  • January2015
    January2015 Posts: 2,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Suseka - Huge congratulations :j:j:j

Almost in single figures (monthwise) to the end your DMP - that must feel awesome :D

Like you, I intend to target our mortgage after completing the DMP (some years away yet though). I never thought I would have enough money or discipline to do such a thing. Now I've learnt such great budgeting lessons through being on a DMP - I can't wait to knock a few years off the mortgage as well;)

Once again - many congratulations on your wonderful progress with your DMP.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k :eek: Now debt free and happy :j
  • January2015
    Options
    Hi everyone :wave:

So - tonight, I've been sitting here playing the 'what if' game. What if those F&F's I sent off were accepted :rotfl:..... well..... if they were my debt would reduce to the £50k's. Highly unlikely, but it is soooooo nice to play 'what if' occassionally;)
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Stranger things have happened lol !!

:j We've had some F&F's accepted :j

I'll post details once the T's are crossed and the I's are dotted (I'm just chasing up the wording I want them to commit to). I don't want to post too much information until everything is settled. From past experience that can take 2 or 3 months. However, I am very hopeful my signature will drop to debt being in £40k's soon (ok....it will be nearer £50k than £40k....but I like the sound of £40k's sooooo much more than £50k's :rotfl:)

Happy days :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Bepop wrote: »
    The words debt, creditors, bad credit, debt agencies etc scare the pants off me and most of all what the future holds. Again, I'm so so pleased for you xx

Ah pay no heed to them, there's nothing to be afraid of.

Just imagine a room full of people on the phone, that's all they are, a glorified call centre with a fancy name, and no more power to do anything than you or I have.

Everyone feels like that about debt collectors at first, it must be a phycological thing, they only have the same recourse to legal action that the rest of us have, but they like to make you think otherwise.

You will come to realise that creditors will be happy with your payment arrangement, there won't be any agro, debt collection agencies are like toothless tigers, they make a lot of noise, but that's all they can do, life will go on, you will get through this, as there is always a solution.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Puzzcat
    Puzzcat Posts: 4,200 Forumite
    Options
    :j We've had some F&F's accepted :j

I'll post details once the T's are crossed and the I's are dotted (I'm just chasing up the wording I want them to commit to). I don't want to post too much information until everything is settled. From past experience that can take 2 or 3 months. However, I am very hopeful my signature will drop to debt being in £40k's soon (ok....it will be nearer £50k than £40k....but I like the sound of £40k's sooooo much more than £50k's :rotfl:)

Happy days :j

:j:j:j Well done January, you are going great guns at those debts.. wish I had enough money to save quicker for f & f's but unfortunately with dd now at uni most of my spare money goes to keeping her afloat.. I look forward to hearing who you have had success with and seeing you join me in the 40k's...

Love Puzz. x
    Christmas 2020 £109
    I love my dmp started in Nov 13 with SC. Self Managed 2016 57% done
    £60062/25384.84 - 13222.60k UE

MY DIARY
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4768685
  • Daydreambeliever
    Options
    Hello all, I hope everyone is coping well in DMP land and hope everyone enjoys the Easter break. I'm on a mission to go self managed Idebts totally £19,100.00) and I'll be honest it is only for the support on this website and reading through January 2015 and Puzzcat's diaries that have given me the strength and confidence to do it. I have been on a DMP for a long time, it has to be that way Bankruptcy or DRO not an option, and unfortunately got into more debt with Very/pay day loans half way through DMP as I was literally living hand to mouth as just was so worried about getting them cleared. I had a second LBM in January 2015 when I couldn't cope anymore. Anyway to cut a long story short, I have been with Step Change from the start and they are very good but I have a RBS Mint which has had AP markers from the beginning (now managed by Westcot) and Very/NCO refuse to default me. I was going to go self managed when I had to confess to SC about the extra debt I had gotten into but Very refused point blank to deal with me, added horrendous charges and would only stop interest/charges if I went through a debt management company. So I envisage fun and games with them! I suffer with anxiety/depression at times, and whilst I am lucky I can go on auto pilot and manage to get through the days, I am going to make the most of me being on a good day and try and get some things sorted. I am 50 in a couple of years and I have spent most of my adult life in debt. The Mint card was taken out in 1996, so I am going to CCA request them. I won't have a clue what the I am supposed to receive or if what they send is appropriate, so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions over the next week or two, I have read thread 11 and up to date on this thread, sometimes I just need that reassurance that I'm doing it right and understand as my brain can be very mushy sometimes.

Take care all, and thank you all for being so lovely and all the information and help on this site. Only my sister and best friend know my debt problem. I am so ashamed, so for the time I spend on here it really feels like I am not alone and I am just human and doing my best to repay what I borrowed and knowing you guys understand totally. Thank you x
  • January2015
    Options
    Hello all, I hope everyone is coping well in DMP land and hope everyone enjoys the Easter break. I'm on a mission to go self managed Idebts totally £19,100.00) and I'll be honest it is only for the support on this website and reading through January 2015 and Puzzcat's diaries that have given me the strength and confidence to do it. I have been on a DMP for a long time, it has to be that way Bankruptcy or DRO not an option, and unfortunately got into more debt with Very/pay day loans half way through DMP as I was literally living hand to mouth as just was so worried about getting them cleared. I had a second LBM in January 2015 when I couldn't cope anymore. Anyway to cut a long story short, I have been with Step Change from the start and they are very good but I have a RBS Mint which has had AP markers from the beginning (now managed by Westcot) and Very/NCO refuse to default me. I was going to go self managed when I had to confess to SC about the extra debt I had gotten into but Very refused point blank to deal with me, added horrendous charges and would only stop interest/charges if I went through a debt management company. So I envisage fun and games with them! I suffer with anxiety/depression at times, and whilst I am lucky I can go on auto pilot and manage to get through the days, I am going to make the most of me being on a good day and try and get some things sorted. I am 50 in a couple of years and I have spent most of my adult life in debt. The Mint card was taken out in 1996, so I am going to CCA request them. I won't have a clue what the I am supposed to receive or if what they send is appropriate, so please forgive me if I ask stupid questions over the next week or two, I have read thread 11 and up to date on this thread, sometimes I just need that reassurance that I'm doing it right and understand as my brain can be very mushy sometimes.

Take care all, and thank you all for being so lovely and all the information and help on this site. Only my sister and best friend know my debt problem. I am so ashamed, so for the time I spend on here it really feels like I am not alone and I am just human and doing my best to repay what I borrowed and knowing you guys understand totally. Thank you x

Hello and welcome :wave:

I love your username - why are people so much more inventive with usernames than I was :rotfl:

Definitely CCA the Mint card. It is highly likely to be unenforceable as it was taken out in the 90s. There is a small possibility it is enforceable - so don't get your hopes too high and if it does turn out to be unenforceable it will be a real bonus - if it is enforceable...hey ho, you carry on as you were paying DMP level payments.

Very/NCO are very naughty - they have to treat you exactly the same if you self manage as if you are being supported by a company/charity such as Stepchange. Very naughty. You could write and complain about this if / when you feel up to it. We can help with complaint letters :beer:
    Puzz is much better at keeping her diary up to date....mine has fallen by the wayside a bit. I will get back on there and update it. However, I am so glad the diaries have inspired you. Self managed is not hard at all and gives you so much more flexibility to negotiate with your predators.

I look forward to getting to know you and joining you on your journey to becoming debt free :j
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,924 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options

Why have you dismissed a debt relief order, would you not qualify ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Daydreambeliever
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Why have you dismissed a debt relief order, would you not qualify ?

Hello Sourcrates, I have more than £50.00 per month disposable income. Aside from that I would also worry about losing car and I work in a Finance department so would be concerned about it being on the public register, hence not following IVA route. With renting, I would prefer not to have anything showing on the Public Register and for the time being the DMP works for me, if I could just get everyone to default.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure