flex working - date of submission/children - which trumps which?

Options

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That sort of split shift must have been very inconvenient for her, how selfish of those two ladies!

Hope she gets it sorted out, concur with all the others, it's highly doubtful the company would have a policy which leaves her stuck with this arrangement on a permanent basis. It does seem like this new manager wants everyone treated fairly and equally and will hopefully be able to back up their position with regards to Margot's working hours by finding evidence to refute these ladies claims that they are to be treated differently because they have children.

Oh this sort of stuff boils my wotsits I tell you!
  • maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,070 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    What horrible colleagues! but I'm not surprised, my sister is the only non parent in her office. She works every year in the period between Xmas and the new year, has to fight to get leave and often has to cover for those with domestic issues. Her "babies" are her cats and when she was in bits having lost one after 15 years she was ridiculed by those same loving parents. My next door neighbour is a "modern" parent, she uses her children to get what she wants at work and when she doesn't goes to the doctor to get signed off with "stress" for a month.
  • so_very_confused
    Options
    Ci_bach wrote: »
    Ah yes. This sort of carry on by Margots 2 colleagues used to be known as ' the Devine Right of Working Mothers' at one place where I worked. Along with first dibs on annual leave for school, Christmas and Easter holidays. When rota'd for early or late office cover, there was always a reason why they couldn't (and never a reason why they could!).

Their sense of entitlement caused a lot of resentment amongst other staff who had to pick up the shortfall.

I'm not saying it's right but I would not be surprised if that attitude would put employers off employing those with that lack of commitment.

CB
    I worked there!:D
    SCP # 034
    The £1000 emergency fund #59
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    edited 27 March 2017 at 3:33PM
    Options
    if they want flexible working they will have to submit a formal request. without this, the company do not have to consider anything and they have no legal backing as they have not formally requested this. i can say whatever i want to my manager, she doesn't have to agree to it or even acknowledge it if i don't go through the appropriate channels.

thy really are taking the proverbial. poor margot has double the travel time and costs. that is not fair. if margot has not submitted a request to work this split and it doesn't say that she has to do this as part of her contract (if the set out shifts are early, mid, late and not x hours over x days) then they should not enforce this. being a parent does not give you the right to supersede everyone else. if margot is an older lady and more vulnerable to stress, getting ill, etc then actually should her health rights supersede someone not wanting to pay for extra childcare? yes you cannot discriminate against someone for being a mother but nor do they get preferential treatment just for popping out a kid they knew would cause a childcare issue. it's not a surprise for them.

edit from ACAS site:

A request from an employee under the Employment Rights Act 1996 and regulations made under it must be in writing and must include the following information:

The date of their application, the change to working conditions they are seeking and when they would like the change to come into effect.

What effect, if any, they think the requested change would have on you as the employer and how, in their opinion, any such effect might be dealt with.

A statement that this is a statutory request and if and when they have made a previous application for flexible working
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had a call from Margot (to see what you guys had written mainly) it was the first day of the rota going back into force. She was scheduled on to the late shift and had a lovely laid back morning :)

On arrival security was hopping mad - The two ladies turned up for the core hours as such the site had no staff to open up and cover the morning.
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • nicechap
    nicechap Posts: 2,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Is there a union involved? Not that it will make a lot of difference based on what I've read - it might be useful for the 2 ladies to hear how little "rights" they have to their cushy arrangement from someone else.
    Originally Posted by shortcrust
    "Contact the Ministry of Fairness....If sufficient evidence of unfairness is discovered you’ll get an apology, a permanent contract with backdated benefits, a ‘Let’s Make it Fair!’ tshirt and mug, and those guilty of unfairness will be sent on a Fairness Awareness course."
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,204 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Tygermoth wrote: »
    Just had a call from Margot (to see what you guys had written mainly) it was the first day of the rota going back into force. She was scheduled on to the late shift and had a lovely laid back morning :)

On arrival security was hopping mad - The two ladies turned up for the core hours as such the site had no staff to open up and cover the morning.

Well, the problem may solve itself for Margot, then. If they fail to show up for work they will make it much easier for the employer to discipline then (up to and including dismissal).
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • sammyjammy
    sammyjammy Posts: 7,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Poor Margot, sounds awful but I have to say it sounds like my dream job (colleagues aside), get Margot to let me know when she wants to retire.....
    "You've been reading SOS when it's just your clock reading 5:05 "
  • Tygermoth
    Tygermoth Posts: 1,413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 April 2017 at 2:33PM
    Options
    Hi all

I thought I would give you all a little update on Margot. The two ladies just refused to change their shifts and for the last two weeks have gone in at core hours only.

Margot believes there were some toys thrown out of the pram by management but to no avail. The ladies just kept repeating that Margot had changed her shifts and they were not obliged to cover earlies or lates.

To bring the matter to a resolution the company decided to employ a fourth person to do a permanent late shift with Margot moving over to her requested earlies.

This person will be in a senior position (higher pay) and will now be managing the three.

The two ladies have applied for the role!
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
  • leslieknope
    leslieknope Posts: 334 Forumite
    Options
    of course they have! i hope neither of them get it - margot should point out they have children so couldn't possibly do the lates ;)

i'm glad margot hasn't been pushed back into doing the split shifts, but i am appalled at their gall. i can't believe they got away with not working the shifts set out for them.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family