Options
124»

Comments

• andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elverson wrote: »
    If you're going to spend that much you may as well go for either a Decathlon road bike (Triban range) or a last-season Specialized hybrid if you can get one.

I like the Triban but I use a child seat to take my son to nursery on the back and I think for that I prefer the more upright position of this style rather than a road bike
    If it wasn't for that I'd probably go for the Triban. Does that view make sense?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Three speed hubs are pretty standard in Holland where it is flat. One of my fleet has a three speed hub. They are good but you have to be prepared to stand up to pedal up a hill. My issue with them is the whole concept of a box of small springs, pawls etc surrounded by a wheel. It's OK when they work. If you can't fix them yourself you probably have to pay a large labour charge to fix them or a big bill to replace it with wheel rebuilding costs. I have another bike which I prefer which is like the Bobbin Noodle. Single chainring at the front with 8 speed derailleur. It's light, easy to maintain but still not great at steep hills.
  • Johnmcl7
    Johnmcl7 Posts: 2,817 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I'm not convinced about a suspension fork for that sort of bike as they add cost, weight and complexity but not much benefit on the road nor really off road either. I ride a variety of bikes (rigid, front suspension, full suspension and tyre widths from narrow road tyres to massive fat tyres) and I find suspension forks are great for absorbing impacts when riding drops or jumps but not so great at smoothing out rough surfaces. For that I prefer a wider tyre which can be run a bit softer.

If you are planning any amount of technical off road riding you'd be better with a cheap hardtail mountain bike then put slicker tyres on it for road riding. Otherwise I'd stick with a rigid fork.

John
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thanks, although too late as I've ordered it now.
    Suspension fork was a downside for me, as you say pointless unless doing proper off-road, which the bike isn't suitable for anyway. But still thought it was the best bike for the money.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    esuhl wrote: »
    What is it that takes so long?
    I'm enjoying what I am doing :)
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure