NEW: Got questions about energy? Join our energy-themed 'Ask An Expert' event. Check back here today from 12pm

Can I introduce anyone to the PS Vita?

A blast from the past this one.

But, this is a cracking console and paired with a PS TV well you almost have (but not quite) a switch.

The console is excellent (nearly a PS3 in your hands) and prices are second hand circa £60.

The big plus is the price of games, the PS store is heavily discounting (regular sales) and games are now going for say £5. Physical second hand prices on EBAY are about £10.

The downside is memory card prices, the system uses propriety memory cards and they are pricey. A 64gb card will cost you as much as the system.

Of course this is an end of lifecycle console, but this is moneysavingexpert and for that money.

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Don't think Ill bother, too old.
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I've looked at the PSP Vita from time to time but the games and silly memory card prices put me off. I liked the original for some of the brilliant games made specifically for the PSP, I disliked the games that were scaled down PS2 games, the Vita seems to have few of the great games and mostly scaled down PS3 games which I'd rather play on the PS3 as they're suited to a bigger screen.

John
  • I don't see it as being old is really much of a problem, we're not talking Dreamcast old, its an excellent system and price is now right (especially game prices), its in many respects got a lot more going for it as purely a handhold than the Switch (although the Switch will most likely supersede it in years to come) and it can be paired to a TV with PS TV to a limited extent. Personally I think it is better than a 3DS. I'm actually looking to get something like at least another 3 years out of mine and i've had it already a year. It doesn't feel old, its towards its 'end of life' in terms of the console itself but the games will go on for a few years.

In terms of games been suited to the bigger screen well actually you can play say 90% of the games on your TV, again via a PS TV, and the second hand prices for a PS TV are very reasonable, in some respects I can't comment on games being better suited to a PS3 and the bigger screen because I like my gaming portable, my PS3 was resigned to being a Blu Ray/DVD/CD(media) player (yes I still like CD's) a good number of years ago. This is the problem I have with the Switch, i'd like one, haven't got the money in reality, but really i'm only interested in it as a portable games machine so i'm paying for something that i'll only use say 50% of it's functionality. The memory card prices for the VITA are silly, but you can pick up a VITA with say a 16gb card still cheap say £70. A 16gb card is still functional and will do the trick.

Again the game prices now are silly off the PS Store and IMHO well basically a steal. Some of these games I've had 50-100 hours of entertainment from for say £5 each and i've got a catalogue built up now that will easily last me 3 years (possibly 5 years) all in (system with a 64 gb memory card and 5 years of games) it has cost me about the basic price of a Switch.
  • LumstormLumstorm Forumite
    242 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    The Vita is not an old console by any means I play mine often and it still has plenty of games coming out for it that I'm looking forward to, though I do import and theres a huge amount of titles coming from Japan and Asia. I also buy US releases as a lot of games come out here as download only and I prefer physical releases.
  • Johnmcl7Johnmcl7 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I don't see it as being old is really much of a problem, we're not talking Dreamcast old, its an excellent system and price is now right (especially game prices), its in many respects got a lot more going for it as purely a handhold than the Switch (although the Switch will most likely supersede it in years to come) and it can be paired to a TV with PS TV to a limited extent. Personally I think it is better than a 3DS. I'm actually looking to get something like at least another 3 years out of mine and i've had it already a year. It doesn't feel old, its towards its 'end of life' in terms of the console itself but the games will go on for a few years.

In terms of games been suited to the bigger screen well actually you can play say 90% of the games on your TV, again via a PS TV, and the second hand prices for a PS TV are very reasonable, in some respects I can't comment on games being better suited to a PS3 and the bigger screen because I like my gaming portable, my PS3 was resigned to being a Blu Ray/DVD/CD(media) player (yes I still like CD's) a good number of years ago. This is the problem I have with the Switch, i'd like one, haven't got the money in reality, but really i'm only interested in it as a portable games machine so i'm paying for something that i'll only use say 50% of it's functionality. The memory card prices for the VITA are silly, but you can pick up a VITA with say a 16gb card still cheap say £70. A 16gb card is still functional and will do the trick.

Again the game prices now are silly off the PS Store and IMHO well basically a steal. Some of these games I've had 50-100 hours of entertainment from for say £5 each and i've got a catalogue built up now that will easily last me 3 years (possibly 5 years) all in (system with a 64 gb memory card and 5 years of games) it has cost me about the basic price of a Switch.

Buying a portable system to play on a TV doesn't make any sense, I'd rather use a more powerful platform designed for that sort of use. My point about scaling down games is that they don't work well on a small screen, I'd rather play them on a big screen and play games designed for the small screen on a portable system. That's why I find the 3DS far better than the PSP because rather than just scaled down games, it has a library of games designed specifically for it which work well on the small screen.

The previous PSP had some great games like Loco Roco, Patapon, Gunpey, Every Extend Extra and Echochrome some of which I realise were ported to larger consoles but they worked great on the PSP. There seems few games like that for the Vita bar Lumines which I've always felt was overrated.

John
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Homes, hornets & high heels

This week's MSE Forum highlights

MSE Forum

Kids eat for 'free' or £1 this summer

Little ones can enjoy hot meals for less

MSE Deals