Forgetful railcard users now able to claim refunds if they're told to pay full fare

Options
Train passengers who forget their railcards will be able to claim a refund if they're forced to pay a higher fare while travelling on discounted journeys - but you'll only be able to claim back cash once a year....
Read the full story:
'Forgetful railcard users now able to claim refunds if they're told to pay full fare'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• StevieJ
    StevieJ Posts: 20,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this backdated, as they had me on a journey from London last Oct. I sent an email to their customer services but they didn't reply.
    'Just think for a moment what a prospect that is. A single market without barriers visible or invisible giving you direct and unhindered access to the purchasing power of over 300 million of the worlds wealthiest and most prosperous people' Margaret Thatcher
  • sensibleshoes
    Options
    I successfully claimed back a fare from East Midlands Trains when I forgot my railcard.

I had to email East Midlands Trains to ask for a form as it's not available online. They sent a specific form to me with a date deadline. I had to get it signed at my local train ticket office which caused a slight problem as the member of staff was reluctant to do so saying I had to use a East Midlands ticket office. I stood my ground stating the East Midland trains use the station & eventually she did co operate but it was awkward & annoying.
  • shawb50
    Options
    Virgin Trains not interested in refunding.
    Booked 2 x advance Glasgow to London return tickets using our "Two Together" railcard. Booked using Trainline and was provided 4 tickets (2 outward / 2 returns) on Virgin trains.

Realized that we had forgotten the "Two Together" railcard when the ticket inspector came round on the downward journey. She charged us an additional £87.50 each "Excess" which covered the 4 tickets.
    On explaining this to the Virgin Trains helpline I was told that since the tickets that I had purchased were "advance" tickets that I could only change these (without penalty) before they are used. So this means that in future I must plan in advance to forget my railcard so that I can change tickets without penalty.
    Helpline were not interested in helping any further and suggested that I contact Trainline. I don't see much point in this as Trainline didn't charge the excess.

Waste of time !!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport