Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

Lorry driver: 'I feel like a prisoner in my own lorry'

Options
2»

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If Jobs and employment were the key to life success places like India would be the places to live.
    It is bunkum, rights fought and died for ard the key to good life.
    Sticking together, standing together are what is missing these days.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • TrickyTree83
    TrickyTree83 Posts: 3,930 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2017 at 9:38PM
    Options
    AFF8879 wrote: »
    And I think the problem with your perspective is you see an isolated part of the country, I felt exactly the same as you (as I said I voted remain, I'm a young Londoner with a well paid job and friends from all over he world). The problem is, when you listen to people's experiences from outside the well-to-bubbles, it is clear that quality of life has significantly declined in many areas of the country - now, I'm not for one minute suggesting this driven by the EU or immigration - I think austerity policies have had more of an impact, not that these are not required often either - but the more that people do as you have done - stick your fingers in your ears and go la la la - the more disenchantment is going to spread. And the big danger of this is that it will push people to support causes / groups that are genuinely prejudiced/racist etc out of sheer frustration.

Definitely agree about the frustration angle, I don't believe for a second that there's that many people who would support Gert Wilders PVV manifesto, it was awful. Disagree with austerity being the cause of the disenchantment. It seems to me to be the nanny state. Big government interfering in people's lives to an unacceptable level and dismantling people's way of life from liberal ivory towers. Remember that it wasn't 17m unemployed people who voted to leave.
  • GreatApe
    GreatApe Posts: 4,452 Forumite
    Options
    AFF8879 wrote: »
    The problem is, when you listen to people's experiences from outside the well-to-bubbles, it is clear that quality of life has significantly declined in many areas of the country

I dont buy this as true

I am guess there is more truth to the idea that desperate people now have a voice and can be visible whereas they didn't 30 years ago. And desperation in the UK is often unealted to economic performance its mostly to do with addiction and peoples own friends/families making them miserable and desperate
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure