We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Joint Mortgage as a PHD researcher

Hi all,

My partner and I are beginning saving for a joint mortgage.
My partner is on 26k pa. in a full time role and I am doing a PHD on 14k pa tax-free. By the time we come to look for a mortgage we will have a 25k deposit looking for around 95k to borrow over 25 years.
I have approached a leading mortgage advisor ( L&C, who partner with Money Saving Expert) and they have said their leading lenders would not consider my income at all and as such a joint mortgage would only give us 20K maximum borrowing. My partner on his own 50k. Neither enough for a mortgage!
We both have excellent credit scores, and have just one car payment as a monthly outgoing and no dependents.
Does anyone have any more information as to why a PHD income isn't considered, since I have this as a guaranteed income for 3 years and the qualification means I'm likely to earn a well-paid salary (though, I know, this is not guaranteed).
I'd also really appreciate if anyone has any experience of this or any advice for what is best to do when in this situation!

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,077 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    There are lenders who may consider it.
    Even if not, I am surprised they are saying £20k maximum loan.

    Maybe try to find a new broker. L&C are a fee free call centre. I think they are more geared towards the average run of the mill case.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.