Advice from a persona trainer please . Home gym ??long post )

Options
another_casualty
another_casualty Posts: 6,506 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
edited 13 March 2017 at 4:53PM in Sports & fitness MoneySaving
Howdy !
I'm in a strange situation at the moment.
I'm in my mid50's ,suffer from myasthenia gravis, which is an auto immune condition and am starting all over again.
Up until 10 years ago, I was a regular gym goer. I saw a personal trainer once a week,incorporating yoga and Pilates to weights cardio etc. Then I had 10 years of hell , and was more or less chucking money away by stop/ starting gym memberships through shift work etc. I only got the myasthenia gravis less than three years ago.

So, with the sale of my flat and moving to a cheaper area I can afford
a fairly decent piece of home equipment.
I'm soon going to be moving into a flat , which has high ceilings .

Would it be a good idea to get either a cross trainer, or a multigym?
Or should I go and join another gym ?

The main problem I have with my condition , is that I'm not as strong as I was . I'm obviously overweight , mainly many chins and stomach.
I'm 6 foot and around 22stone . Some of that is still muscle .
I get very lethargic and have random breathlessness which is part of the condition I have .
On the plus side ,where's I now live is hilly . Obviously, when the weather gets more consistent I will start walking on a regular basis.
My sleep,pattern is all,over the place because of my situation .
Forgot to mention, I do have a Pilates machine which I purchased from qvc about2009. Because I had my brother as a paying lodger and pita , I was using it very rarely . I think it would be too long for the flat .
Please advise

Comments

• fairy_lights
    fairy_lights Posts: 9,220 Forumite
    Options
    I'm not a personal trainer but I know from first hand experience that unless you've got the discipline of a gladiator home gym's can become expensive clothes horses very quickly.
    Because you used to go to the gym a lot and had a personal trainer, I would consider doing the same again. Join a gym, and get a trainer to draw you up a plan that takes your health problems in to account.
    Flog the pilates machine on Ebay and use the proceeds to buy a good pair of trainers for the hill walking.
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks fairy lights :)
  • heartbreak_star
    Options
    Agree with fairylights - and good luck!

HBS x
    "I believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another."

"It's easy to know what you're against, quite another to know what you're for."

#Bremainer
  • another_casualty
    Options
    Thanks hbs !:)
    It's a huge year of transition :)
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You will start low and work up from that?

You can get off-peak gym membership in some gyms, which is much cheaper than normal membership.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • another_casualty
    Options
    GDB2222 wrote: »
    You will start low and work up from that?

You can get off-peak gym membership in some gyms, which is much cheaper than normal membership.

I aim to do little and often . Basic stuff ( bike - cross trainer- chest press machine - leg extension machine etc.) .

I actually joined a gym in Dec that had very basic stuff , and was mainly weights. My immune system was shot , due to a big move and had the flu for a couple of weeks . (Moving away and quitting your job when storm Angus happens is not advisable :) )

Just looked at the nearest gym which has all the equipment I need .
    Cost is about £58 a month. There are joining fees etc.
    I intend to take 1 month at a time, in case it doesn't workout for me .
    That is why the tariff is expensive .
    They tend to start apron 1st of month.
    Was thinking of joining on Monday . Could start earlier, as I'm currently unemployed , but not happy at extra charge as its not a 1s of the month start .
    Had a long walk today :)
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I aim to do little and often . Basic stuff ( bike - cross trainer- chest press machine - leg extension machine etc.) .

I actually joined a gym in Dec that had very basic stuff , and was mainly weights. My immune system was shot , due to a big move and had the flu for a couple of weeks . (Moving away and quitting your job when storm Angus happens is not advisable :) )

Was thinking of joining on Monday . Could start earlier, as I'm currently unemployed , but not happy at extra charge as its not a 1s of the month start .

I just received the Ramblers newsletter today. Which reminds me to suggest turning up to a few walks run by your local groups. There's no need to join, and they are a very friendly bunch. Mostly. You also can't beat the price, which is £0.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

If you are unemployed, £58 a month is a huge sum of money. Why not just do free exercise? Walking has been mentioned but there are plenty of other options such as body weight workouts that require little or no equipment. Search for the various "challenge" apps available for smartphones for extra motivation.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I know some people can get the cost of groups like WeightWatchers covered/reduced if they go to see their GP. It could be worth checking to see whether there's a similar scheme for gym membership.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure