We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Batch cooking for a family

Hi,

I need some help and I just know you lot will have some suggestions for me.

Firstly, to let you know, we are a family of 6: 2 adults, 2 teenage boys, 2 junior aged kids.

My husband and I are about to start new jobs, both full-time and both within the next few weeks... So, I want to start giving batch cooking a go. I know we will both be tired and hungry when we get home, as will the kids.

I am an ok cook and am not worried about making huge batches of food, but I am stumped as to what to store and freeze the food in, that doesn't involve large spends.

All I can think of is pyrex dishes with lids, but these are very expensive or the foil trays with lids, but these will need continual replacing, or plastic tuppaware, but this will mean transferring it to a different dish prior to putting in the oven.

What do you recommend? It has to be big enough to hold large portions for 4 adult servings and two decent sized kids portions.

Thanks for all advice given x

Comments

  • Slow cooker so it's ready when you get home?
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 19,771 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I freezer stuff in the dishes I cook/serve in (as long as they are both oven and freezer proof), wrapped in foil/greaseproof and cling film.
  • jayII
    jayII Posts: 40,693 Forumite
    I freeze meals in a variety of containers.

    Meals like lasagne go in cheap square pyrex dishes, with the whole thing either covered in foil or put into a large freezer bag (I got cheap pyrex dishes and large freezer bags from Wilkos). The lasagne (or similar) is taken out to defrost during the day then goes straight in the oven when I get home.

    Meat sauces (for shepherd's pie or spaghetti bolognaise) are cooled then portioned into large freezer bags or old ice cream containers. Then I just need to cook cheap pasta or put supermarket frozen potato on top of the meat sauce in an oven proof dish and pop the dish into the oven.

    Remember to label with date and contents before freezing. Good luck with it all. :)
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Fighting the biggest battle of my life. :( Started 30th January 2018.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
  • Hi, I cook like this and it is great finishing work and just having to reheat something that i've already batch cooked. I generally make a huge amount of something and then put it in tupperware containers. You can get the containers from IKEA or places like B&M cheap and the containers are big enough to hold a few portions.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.