PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

When does scrimping go too far?

Options
13»

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are the family in such dire need they have to do this? Is it long term, or just to get through a bad month?

If it's just a one off, then I would assume there are some supplies in the house already, then it may, depending on how creative they are, how much time they can devote to YS shopping and checking out all shops for the very best deals, I'd say yes

Long term, nope

I average £35 a week for three adults, cleaning,toiletries and the wet feeding of one cat plus cat litter

We don't get major YS offers ( other then around Christmas ) because we don't shop at night and we don't buy processed foods

We have hens who pay for their own keep by my selling the excess eggs - we eat a lot of eggs as well :)

We eat a lot of chicken as we live close to a processing plant and they sell overstock off very very cheap

We grow some veg with varying success

I could cut that bill down again if I wanted to but we can afford it and it allows for a good variety of foods. We like a choice of breads, of spreads for toast, a choice of cereal etc. We don't all like porridge and I think if I said its that or else, I'd be shown the door :)
  • AnnieO1234
    AnnieO1234 Posts: 1,722 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your input, it's given me some more things to think about and talk through with her about. She isn't in debt, but is rather seeking to build up savings so that they can eventually buy their own home. I do understand where she's coming from but I honestly (hand on heart) don't think that it's the right way to go. If it were me I would try and get a second job or some kind of additional work to put into savings, before subjecting my kids to what (to me) amounts to child abuse. I'm sorry if that is too blunt for some people but nutrition is so important especially for young tots like that.

I will try and talk to her with some of the points you've made - I especially love the one about calorie need that wasn't something I'd thought about. I was mainly thinking about it from the pov of basically carbo loading and lack of vitamins etc that is common in £ a day diets.

To compound matters slightly, meat is a must at every meal, no garden and no access to local farms or markets. To be honest I don't know how she's really managing on what she currently spends let alone cutting it down even further.

Thanks again xxx
  • Ilona
    Ilona Posts: 2,449 Forumite
    Options
    In answer to your question, When does scrimping go too far?

Assuming you have some money.
    When you only eat cheap rubbishy food. When you are hungry most of the time. When your food cupboards and fridge are empty. When you eat beans on toast every day for a month. When you don't turn the heating on at all and are shivering. When you sit in the dark because you don't want to put the light on. When you walk ten miles to work because you don't want to pay the bus fair. When you scavenge in bins at the back of supermarkets. When you stop buying any toiletries at all and use washing up liquid to wash yourself. When the money in your bank account grows and grows and your frugal habits are so ingrained that you become addicted to saving, and dare not spend a penny.

Then you might as well not be living. Buy whatever you want if you can afford to pay for it with cash. Don't spend money you haven't got, or which is not yours.

I am Meanqueen, a Superscrimper, a Tightwad, but I do spend money on what is important to me. I've just had a week away and stayed in some very nice hotels. It's because I am tight that I can pay for that.

OP work out your own budget according to your income, you decide what you can and can't afford. There are some great ideas for saving money from the good people on here. This is a great site, I read it all the time.

Ilona
    I love skip diving.
    :D
  • Ginmonster
    Ginmonster Posts: 617 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Annie01234

I notice from your latest post that you're not asking for yourself but for someone you know. I'd be very careful with how you broach this with them if I were you. Even if they have asked for your advice, if you criticise their parenting then you might lose a friend. Bear in mind that even if you think they are wrong they might well be doing this with the best of intentions and be really hurt. It might be easier for them to find out for themselves that is not going to work for them than for you to tell them how daft the idea is.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Ginmonster wrote: »
    Hi Annie01234

I notice from your latest post that you're not asking for yourself but for someone you know. I'd be very careful with how you broach this with them if I were you. Even if they have asked for your advice, if you criticise their parenting then you might lose a friend. Bear in mind that even if you think they are wrong they might well be doing this with the best of intentions and be really hurt. It might be easier for them to find out for themselves that is not going to work for them than for you to tell them how daft the idea is.

Very good advice 👍
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family