We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING
Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Knitting beginner
downshifter
Posts: 1,122 Forumite
Dear everyone
I'd really like to get into knitting. Years ago (35 or so!) I made a cardy for myself but it was literally several rectangles sewn together and more recently I knitted a scarf for my granddaughter with very forgiving wool! That's about the extent of my experience. I picked up a lovely book in a charity shop which clearly shows stitches but not really any projects.
I think I need to go back to the beginning and be given a step by step guide with projects which progress as I gain experience. Or maybe even a kit?
I've looked online and at my usual goto-for-everything resource Youtube, but it's all a bit confusing and I need different help than just stitches. There is a local knit and natter group but they were a bit dismissive when I asked about starting from scratch, they all seem to know what they're doing!
Can anyone suggest a good book/magazine/website that could help? I might add that I'm not a 'crafty' type of person, things like patchwork, crocheting etc leave me cold and I have no concept of what colours go well together but I would just like to knit things.
Thanks
DS
I'd really like to get into knitting. Years ago (35 or so!) I made a cardy for myself but it was literally several rectangles sewn together and more recently I knitted a scarf for my granddaughter with very forgiving wool! That's about the extent of my experience. I picked up a lovely book in a charity shop which clearly shows stitches but not really any projects.
I think I need to go back to the beginning and be given a step by step guide with projects which progress as I gain experience. Or maybe even a kit?
I've looked online and at my usual goto-for-everything resource Youtube, but it's all a bit confusing and I need different help than just stitches. There is a local knit and natter group but they were a bit dismissive when I asked about starting from scratch, they all seem to know what they're doing!
Can anyone suggest a good book/magazine/website that could help? I might add that I'm not a 'crafty' type of person, things like patchwork, crocheting etc leave me cold and I have no concept of what colours go well together but I would just like to knit things.
Thanks
DS
0
Comments
-
You might find that there are knitting groups near you. If you google knitting groups in X you might be lucky. Also ask around your neighbours, you may find someone who could help?0
-
Website wise try ravelry.com .
It hosts patterns (many free) for load of knitting (and crochet) projects from super easy to not a cat in hell's chance I could knit that. There are forums as well.0 -
I'd echo a local knit n knatter group. oftentimes your local woolshop hosts them, or at least would know of any locally.Mortgage free as of 10/02/2015. Every brick and blade of grass belongs to meeeee. :j0
-
I'd check and see if there are any other knit and natter groups other than the one you approached. We have several around here and I can't imagine anyone at the two I go to being less than helpful to a beginner.
Ravelry has a section which list knitting groups or ask on their forums. It's free to join.
Our local wool shop does classes too although they tend to be for more advanced stuff. If you have a local shop it would be worth asking , even if they don't do classes they may be able to recommend something. Even Hobbycraft might be worth a try-I've seen craft classes being advertised-not sure if they do knitting but they do sell wool.
Try the library for knitting books.0 -
Thank you - I've never heard of ravelry, it sounds like the place to be. I'll also ask at the wool shop. The knit and natter group I asked weren't unfriendly, just a bit clique-ey and I'd find it a bit daunting to try and break into the group as a beginner. Will ask around for others.
Just come back from a long walk so feel I've earned a sit down. Will dig out the one pair of needles I've got and try a few stitches from my gorgeous book. Would just like to get my teeth into a project though!
Thanks for all the advice, great stuff.
DS0 -
I taught myself to knit a few years ago...I don't 'do' groups...and mum tried to teach me a few times and I am still amazed we both survived!
I used the Readers' Digest Complete Guide TO Needlework which has very clear pictures of how to make each stitch (I wasn't online at the time, so no youtube for me!)
I actually taught myself knitting with a definite purpose...I wanted to knit for Samaritans Purse Christmas Shoeboxes...I recommend looking at their site for some good beginners' patterns (my first project was bags....you simple need to be able to cast on and off and do a knit stitch...no increase or decrease needed!)0 -
May be asking the wool shop if they run classes at all - my local one does and its really lovely. Youtube is also a great resource - every time I want to learn something new I find tons of videos on there.Happiness is wanting what you have...0
-
downshifter wrote: »Thank you - I've never heard of ravelry, it sounds like the place to be. I'll also ask at the wool shop. The knit and natter group I asked weren't unfriendly, just a bit clique-ey and I'd find it a bit daunting to try and break into the group as a beginner. Will ask around for others.
Just come back from a long walk so feel I've earned a sit down. Will dig out the one pair of needles I've got and try a few stitches from my gorgeous book. Would just like to get my teeth into a project though!
Thanks for all the advice, great stuff.
DS
Wilkinsons wool is really cheap if you are wanting to practicemake the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
and we will never, ever return.0
This discussion has been closed.
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards