We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

OOD frozen fruits

Hi, I have found a tub of opened frozen summer fruits dated 2015. They have frost on them. I usually use these for porridge but I wonder whether they are still ok? They were at the bottom of drawer so must have kept topping up on top of them.

Will they be ok? Or should I just throw them away?
Happiness is wanting what you have...

Comments

  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,574 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    The texture probably won't be as good but I don't see why they wouldn't be safe to eat - I'd certainly use them.
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Mojisola, thanks for reply, the fruits break down a bit in the porridge I make as I add them at the start so they can defrost as it cooks so perhaps it won't taste any different.
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    A tad watery that's all but will be fine for porridge or cooking
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,574 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    We've got a ready-to-drink demi-john of mixed fruit wine made from all the bags of old fruit from the bottom of our freezer - some of that was two years old - and it tastes very nice. :)
  • No please don't use them, I can test them for you free of charge. I will make them into some crumble with apple and custard.
    Obviously, I cannot return tested items
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I'd stick them in a smoothie
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

    "No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

    Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 13,994 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    Make a Rumtpof and here's another offer to check the quality of it for you!
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Ha! Thanks for the generous offers to quality test! If you can't tell I am quite nervous of BB dates etc. I think I will be brave and try them myself but possibly steal Blackbeards idea of a crumble :D
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
  • TravellingAbuela
    TravellingAbuela Posts: 7,688 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    edited 8 March 2017 at 10:44PM
    We forage for lots of fruit when it's in season and quite often can be using blackberries, bilberries, sloes etc that have been in the freezer for three years or more. Never noticed any difference in the taste or the texture.
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 1,001 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    TA - I would like to get into this. Years ago I did every season but haven't for some time now...Not even sure I know the seasons anymore so will have to research. Thanks for the reassurance :)
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.