We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Mortgage advise for a first time buyer

Hello everyone,

I'm hoping I can gather some advice from this forum in regards to my first mortgage application. I've Googled to see if I could get some answers, but nothing came up which really matched my dilemma.

I'm currently living with parents and I'm looking to take out a mortgage. I have been in my current employment for two years as a Graphic Designer, and earn £19,500 annually and have a fair to good credit rating. I am debt free, my only real expenditure each month is on my PCP car and phone contract. Based on quick calculators online, I will be entitled to a small(ish) amount under what I would need for a decent house in my area (all of the help to buy houses are in really rough areas, so that's a bit of a no-go). I could potentially borrow up to £88,000, when ideally I would need about £115,000.

Now here's where I could do with some advise. Since October 2016, I have been running an online shop selling prints - for the last 2-3 months I have been earning upwards of £3000 a month through this secondary job. I will be looking to buy a house in 8 months time or less, so I'm concerned that this will have little to no effect on my mortgage application because I've only been earning this income for a short amount of time. I am unsure if I'll be able to save any more than a £15000 deposit.

I'm hoping somebody could give me some tips on how to boost my application, and if there's anything I should know in regards to my circumstances.

Thanks so much. :)

Comments

  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 25,079
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've helped Parliament
    Forumite
    If you buy after April, you will have 1 years SA302s. So you can use that income in addition to your main income with some lenders.

    One for a broker if you plan on going down that route I think but there is potential there.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.2K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.