We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Pizza

I bought a fresh pizza today, did not think to look and see if it is suitable to freeze, cannot find anything on the packaging. Is it ok to freeze it??
«1

Comments

  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Unless there is anything patently unfreezable on the top I'd give it a go. Offhand I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't freeze perfectly well.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    I can see no reason why it can't be frozen. I've frozen fresh pizzas many times especially when picked up from the ys chiller as an unintended but bargain purchase.
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Any fruit/veg, the base, tomato sauce etc can easily be frozen. It is individual parts that might be unsuitable to be frozen - that might/might not make it 'unsafe' to freeze.

    What are the toppings?

    If it's meat, it's probably OK.
    If it's seafood, that's likely to be a problem.
  • The topping is ham and pineapple, no sea food in this house, I am allergic to it as I found out when I had some crab!! Not nice.
  • Mr_Singleton
    Mr_Singleton Posts: 1,891 Forumite
    The topping is ham and pineapple

    I'd be concerned about the "ham"
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 15,615 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    As long as you freeze it when you get it home from buying it, it'll be fine as long as you cook it properly afterward.
    Bread, especially freash bread, frezes really well and is just as fresh on rethawing, with crusty crusts still intact.
    Toppings freeze just the same although mushrooms might lose original consistency just as normal mushrooms would.
    The pineapple may be a bit watery.
    Non me fac calcitrare tuum culi
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    I'd freeze it, on the basis of "safety" - I'd freeze it and feel safe. Some people might've brought that pizza home from the shop and stuck it on the worktop until the next day, or longer - at which point that ham would be "dodgy".

    If you bought the pizza, brought it home, put it into the fridge and are now wondering if you can freeze it, I'd say it's fine, on the basis the ham hasn't been left out for a long time at room temperature.

    They have to work on the basis that a careless person's done all the wrong things with the product ... and if you've done with it what you should've done with it (home, fridge) ...it'll be fine.
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,452 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Absolutely fine
  • OK, its been in the fridge since I bought it, so this morning I slit the packaging and cut the pizza in half, its a big one, Rewrapped it in foil and its in the freezer.

    Thanks.
  • purpleybat
    purpleybat Posts: 478 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 100 Posts
    yes it is :)
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.