Online Accountancy Course

Hi

I'm looking to do an online AAT accountancy course. I'm 44 and with the prospect of having to work for at least 20 years have decided to better myself! I went back to work 4 years ago after getting divorced previously been a stay at home mum for 8 years. My current job has been great as it works around the children but it's so boring I just can't see myself doing it for the next 20 years also it doesn't pay enough! Does anyone have an experience of changing career and of studying accountancy online? Any advice would be most welcome.

Comments

• martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    JackieP wrote: »
    Hi

I'm looking to do an online AAT accountancy course. I'm 44 and with the prospect of having to work for at least 20 years have decided to better myself! I went back to work 4 years ago after getting divorced previously been a stay at home mum for 8 years. My current job has been great as it works around the children but it's so boring I just can't see myself doing it for the next 20 years also it doesn't pay enough! Does anyone have an experience of changing career and of studying accountancy online? Any advice would be most welcome.

You need experience before you think about a qualification.

What is your current role? and work experience?

With an AAT and no accounting work experience you'll find it very hard to go anywhere.

look for entry level roles connected to accounting, purchase ledger clerk, cashier, accounts payable. If you get one, study as you work.

Also don't underestimate the amount of work you will need to do to both study and work full time as well, and flexi time entry level accounting positions with the potential to progress to higher level flexi time positions are like hens teeth, so you'd be looking at full full time, with a lot of study outside of work.

Not trying to put you off, but being realistic.
  • TrickyDicky101
    TrickyDicky101 Posts: 3,510
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    With an AAT and no accounting work experience you'll find it very hard to go anywhere.

look for entry level roles connected to accounting, purchase ledger clerk, cashier, accounts payable. If you get one, study as you work.

^^^ this is excellent advice. Having your head screwed on is sufficient for entry level roles and you may find that - once you have proved yourself - your employer would then consider sponsoring (ie paying for) development training such as AAT.

This is certainly what I used to do when I ran an accounting team.
  • Thanks for the advice, makes perfect sense. I've got a business hnc that I studied for at evening classes about 15 years ago, I covered a couple of accountancy modules, I'm hoping that some of it will come flooding back! I currently work in a merchandising position using sage to raise sales orders, purchase orders etc so it's not totally new but just feel I could do better.

I'll start applying for some entry level jobs.

Thanks again both of you for your replies
  • daytona0
    daytona0 Posts: 2,358 Forumite
    Woah, before you do that...

If you are talking about starting with AAT level 2 then take their advice with a pinch of salt! This is just an introduction level and you don't need to know a lick about accountancy to begin with, nevermind having experience!

I revised for my level 2 in a call center in between calls and on my lunch break! And even then, the exams follow the practice papers so you could practice them a lot!

I self funded too :) They actually sponsored people to do their AAT exams at work, but such sponsorships were a bit like gold-dust! Only the head of finance and maybe their mates got that perk ;) Poor old daytona0 who virtually begged them for some voluntary work didn't even have a sniff at the freebies! :D

I think that you should think of AAT level 2 as a way to promote your commitment... "here I am, self-funding and self-studying" and use that to get an entry-level position (if you don't manage to initially get one, as per the previous advice).

You have many years of experience on me, however, and maybe you can use that to your advantage by securing an entry-level position right off the bat as suggested.

Either way, good luck to ya! :)
  • Thanks Daytona0 for taking the time to reply, it was AAT level 2 I was planning to do to see how I got on with it. I think I'll apply for the course, see how the level 2 goes and then look for a new job before I think about level 3. I really appreciate your response.

daytona0 wrote: »

If you are talking about starting with AAT level 2 then take their advice with a pinch of salt! This is just an introduction level and you don't need to know a lick about accountancy to begin with, nevermind having experience!

I revised for my level 2 in a call center in between calls and on my lunch break! And even then, the exams follow the practice papers so you could practice them a lot!

I self funded too :) They actually sponsored people to do their AAT exams at work, but such sponsorships were a bit like gold-dust! Only the head of finance and maybe their mates got that perk ;) Poor old daytona0 who virtually begged them for some voluntary work didn't even have a sniff at the freebies! :D

I think that you should think of AAT level 2 as a way to promote your commitment... "here I am, self-funding and self-studying" and use that to get an entry-level position (if you don't manage to initially get one, as per the previous advice).

You have many years of experience on me, however, and maybe you can use that to your advantage by securing an entry-level position right off the bat as suggested.

Either way, good luck to ya! :)
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,665
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Getting experience is a great idea. Search this forum for aat/accountancy threads to find some good ideas. Even volunteering as the treasurer for a local sports or social club (karate, girl guides, etc) or gelping spmeine newly self-employed with hiw to recird their incone and expenditure can give you examples to discuss at an interview for your first job.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • martinsurrey
    martinsurrey Posts: 3,368 Forumite
    daytona0 wrote: »

Just to clarify, I was not implying that you need experience to DO the AAT, but that for the AAT to have much VALUE you need experience.

When I hire for entry level accounting positions, its about experience and attitude, having an AAT is no real benefit, and in some cases a hindrance, as some people think that because they have AAT they should earn big bucks, while having zero demonstrable experience, I would rather hire and train.

OP they go hand in hand, don't neglect either side (training and experience) if you want to go past entry level you are going to have to fight your way up (very possible, but competitive and hard work).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure