Price rail tickets

Options
Hi all, has there been a big general increase in train fares? Just trying to book Hitchin/Carnforth for later in March and Chester/London for later in May and prices are so high!

Comments

• helpnoid
    Options
    Hmm, just tried ticketysplit which didn't work but the price quoted by Martin on that tool was lower than the one given to me by the app so booked on the trainline website for a 50% cheaper price!!

Will check the Chester journey on the website.

How bizarre!!
  • wealdroam
    wealdroam Posts: 19,181 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    helpnoid wrote: »
    Hmm, just tried ticketysplit which didn't work but the price quoted by Martin on that tool was lower than the one given to me by the app so booked on the trainline website for a 50% cheaper price!!

How bizarre!!
    So you are happy to pay the fees that the trainline impose?

Save even more money by booking direct with a train operating company. They sell exactly the same tickets as the trainline - sometimes even cheaper ones - but often without the fees.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi all, has there been a big general increase in train fares? Just trying to book Hitchin/Carnforth for later in March and Chester/London for later in May and prices are so high!

If your May dates are around the bank holidays that month, cheaper advance tickets may not be made available until much later than the normal 12 weeks window (if at all) as they are not issued until any engineering works to be scheduled are finalised
  • helpnoid
    Options
    Thank you poohsticks.

I agree with you wealdroam however the first time I tried to book the Hitchin/Carnforth journey I also checked Virgin East and prices were same as train line app - of course with fees but neither as cheap as trainline website.
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

How bizarre!!
    Ticketysplit only allows one split, and only works for single journeys.

If you search for "split ticketing" there are a couple of useful sites that offer many more "splits" and will also retail fares, without charging fees, with the exception of retaining 10% of any savings that the site finds.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure