One of the reasons people can't find employment....

Options

Comments

• pioneer22
    Options
    I agree with you ... up to a point. My point being that the OP is slating job applications for poor spelling and grammar, yet displays the same errors themself.

Ultimately, yes of course there is no excuse for errors on a CV. If you suffer from dyslexia - or if, for any other reason, your ability to produce correct spelling and grammar is compromised - then most word processing applications will check it for you. Failing that, ask a friend to proof-read it - as has been suggested by a previous poster.

I wouldn't do that on my CV, also I don't exactly take myself too seriously it's just the internet. The reason being is I struggle to write/structure and to make sense my point I'm trying to get across.

If I was serious about getting a job I would get someone to check it.

You're meant to be selling yourself to an employer.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I agree with you ... up to a point. My point being that the OP is slating job applications for poor spelling and grammar, yet displays the same errors themself.

There is a general rule of thumb online: if you're slagging off someone else's grammar/spelling/punctuation then you'd had best write that post immaculately or you'll get ripped by everyone else.
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is a general rule of thumb online: if you're slagging off someone else's grammar/spelling/punctuation then you'd had best write that post immaculately or you'll get ripped by everyone else.

Agree entirely ....

Although ....

(yes, this grammar isn't strictly correct )

But ... "then you'd had best write that post immaculately". "You'd" is a contraction of "You had". So "You had had best write that post immaculately ..."

Sorry, in a playful mood now, no offence intended LOL !

Of course we all use casual language when posting on forums ( fora ?? ) such as this. But my main gripe was with the OP - don't criticise others when your own grammar is less than perfect.

Hey, I'm not meaning to offend anyone here - kind of wish I hadn't given a reply at all now :( Peace to all :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    hah, no offense taken. I'm not writing sonnets here.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,341 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    The logic of the initial premise seems off to me anyway: if the grammatical standard of all applications miraculously improved the number of jobs available wouldn't increase. There would still be 200 applicants for a job and 199 of them not getting it.

There are jobs affected by skills shortages which are not being filled and where raising the standard of applicants might result in a decrease in dissapointed candidates. However, the job in question does not sound like one of them.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • Kirklees1992
    Options
    If people are made redundant it's generally because the post they've held is no longer there.

What other explanation do you need.

You sound awful and I think the people who don't get hired by you have had a lucky escape.
  • Kirklees1992
    Options
    Telling someone that's why YOUR unemployed in the same breath as going on about poor spelling makes you look ridiculous.

Don't believe for a minute you hire anyone with your attitude and spelling bloopers.
  • Beartricks
    Beartricks Posts: 250 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    pioneer22 wrote: »
    You say redundant, unless you state the reason for leaving I say DISMISSED.

That's the way it works.

Unfortunately, you have as much evidence to support that they were dismissed as they do to prove that they were made redundant. You're on a level playing field here so stop acting as if your nameless, faceless internet vitriol is worth more than anyone else's.

This thread is toxic.
  • dlmcr
    dlmcr Posts: 182 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can only assume the OP bought a bottle of vodka and downed most of it before starting and participating in this thread, as it's one of the most ridiculous threads I've seen on here for a while, not sure what point or purpose it serves.
  • sillyvixen
    sillyvixen Posts: 3,617 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I once read a CV where the candidate listed their hobbies as 'sex, drugs and rock and roll' they were not invited to interview! Another one claimed to have excellent computer and typing skills - shame they did not know their way around a computer keyboard well enough to turn the caps lock off! (it was like being shouted at in a CV -and not in a good way).
    Dogs return to eat their vomit, just as fools repeat their foolishness. There is no more hope for a fool than for someone who says, "i am really clever!"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure