25% tax free lump sum calculation

Options
Recently got my DB pension statement and the tax free lump sum offered is £7k. However, I also received a current transfer value of £220k.

£7k is way off the £55k I would get if I was able to transfer out. Why might this be?

Comments

• jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's whatever the scheme rules say. No general rule that DB pay 25% of any particular amount.

CETVs are currently higher than usual because of very low interest rates. But that has no effect on the DB pension numbers, just on transferring out.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    bikeman wrote: »
    £7k is way off the £55k I would get if I was able to transfer out. Why might this be?

The profound answer is that it's because a transfer would shift all the investment risk, and the longevity risk, from the scheme to you. The rest is detail.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Silvertabby
    Options
    Is this an actual retirement statement or just an annual statement? If the latter, then is it possible that the £7 quoted is just your standard lump sum, and not the maximum 25% tax free cash you could opt to take (by taking a reduced annual pension)?

This would be the case if your benefits are with the LGPS and you have both pre and post 2008 service.
  • Andy_L
    Andy_L Posts: 12,801 Forumite
    Options
    Many DB schems calculate the lump sum by multipling the annual pension given up by a number. often this number is defined in the scheme rules and has no relationship to the value of the pension given up in exchange for the lump sum and thus different to the numbers from the CETV valuation
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There is no 25% tax free lump sum with defined benefit schemes. It uses a calculation to give a figure that is broadly equivalent based on the defined benefits. Often with pension statements, they will give multiple examples showing different lump sum amounts taken and the impact on the income.

The transfer value is not the same thing. It is an artificial figure created on a range of assumptions as well as specifics about your pension. The transfer value will fluctuate but the defined benefits remain constant (plus indexation)
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bikeman
    bikeman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ok thanks. From the answers I gather that maybe it is a good time to take advantage of the current high transfer rates.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,692 Forumite
    Options
    ok thanks. From the answers I gather that maybe it is a good time to take advantage of the current high transfer rates.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • bikeman
    bikeman Posts: 318 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2017 at 2:23PM
    Options
    because?

£220k invested in buy to let would likely bring in more than the £6k pa pension

or

I could drawdown more than the pension and it would still see me out.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,428 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    £220k invested in buy to let would likely bring in more than the £6k pa pension

it wouldnt be £220k invested in a buy to let. You would lose nearly half that amount in tax.
    That ignores that the pension is likely more favourable than a buy to let in investment returns after tax.

Possibly. However, an annually increasing guaranteed income for life vs one that is subject to volatility may or may not appeal to all.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

So you invest in shares, there's a stockmarket slump, you panic and sell, and then decide never to buy shares again. Now you've got 50% of what you started with. Along comes an inflation and knocks merry hell out of the value of the cash that now fills your pension pot. Etc, etc.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport