Which supermarket is the leader in wrongly marked up prices leading to overcharging?

I regularly get about 10 items per week in Lidl. On average 10% of the 10 has been going through the till at a different price than advertised. One item today was posted at £1.35 but went through at £1.89 . I bought 4 of another item today also. At aldi this item is 49 p but for months has been offered at over 10p more but is going through at the same price of the product at Aldi. almost every week i have to ask someone to give me a rebate. AS the second items standard price is the same at a comparable shop i can only assume that they have just not removed the inflated price tag.
"if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017

Comments

• dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Never had ANY problems at either Lidl or Aldi
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    Aldi for me is generally ok but sometimes don't put the reduced amount in. Its lidl now that i check meticulously.
    "if the state cannot find within itself a place for those who peacefully refuse to worship at its temples, then it’s the state that’s become extreme".Revd Dr Giles Fraser on Radio 4 2017
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Each supermarket I had experience of this.

Has anyone noticed some supermarkets when they have a promotion on a line, not all the flavours are on the offer? Does anyone know why? With the fresh lines, customers buy the offer flavours. Then the non offers get reduced on the day or before of the UB date. New Covent Garden Soup and Ben & Jerrys are two examples.

Some supermarkets use shelf stackers that don't read the price ticket and put something similar in front of it. One example that my friend gets quite often cat food. As its just a different coloured band to differentiate between two products.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I find that the shelf talkers at Lidl aren't always accurate, but the EPOS is.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post

Has anyone noticed some supermarkets when they have a promotion on a line, not all the flavours are on the offer? Does anyone know why? With the fresh lines, customers buy the offer flavours. Then the non offers get reduced on the day or before of the UB date. New Covent Garden Soup and Ben & Jerrys are two examples.

Some supermarkets use shelf stackers that don't read the price ticket and put something similar in front of it. One example that my friend gets quite often cat food. As its just a different coloured band to differentiate between two products.

Its possibly down to the person, i mean the buyer who decides which of the flavours will sell most of based on past sales.

The staff just arent trained properly to actually look at what they are doing, Im sure they walk round with theyre eyes closed.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker

Often its a different range that isn't in the offer, just because its all the same brand doesn't mean its same product and different flavour. Some flavours are premium, for example there might be classic soup range and healthy soup range. Or Ben & Jerrys standard and then the "Core" flavours with a sauce filled centre.
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    In my experience, Aldi & Lidl are much better at this than the Big 4.

I expect maybe one mis-priced item (in their favour) per month (which can be up to 8 shops). When I shopped at a large, inner London Tescos, it would be 2 or 3 items most weeks. It was a regular thing for me to spot one error on the receipt, and then wait in the CS queue, scanning for other errors - and finding them.

Obviously, if the error is in my favour, I don't bother to tell anyone (and there are consistent errors of this type with my shopping at L & A quite regularly). Lidl Soup in a Cup packs have been scanning at 39p for months, whilst being displayed at 45p.

Occasionally, I will ignore errors if they balance out (one in my favour, one in theirs).

I'd be interested to know which lines the OP has had issues with.
  • ljonski
    ljonski Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    i was forced again to go to Lidl this morning. I had actually bought the same product on Saturdayas well. but used the self service . I looked at the receipt closely and found that i had been charged £1.89 also. After my forthright conversation yesterday it was obvious that they would remember me. -which they did. So i went through the whole routine again but this time remarked that despite me drawing attention to it they were still offering the product at £1.35 and charging £1.89. The assistant said he would get rid of it immediately but i suspect that he will just get rid of the £1.35 sign leaving £1.69 up but charging at the tills £1.89 ! the item was MTM haddock fish cakes.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    jon81uk wrote: »
    Often its a different range that isn't in the offer, just because its all the same brand doesn't mean its same product and different flavour. Some flavours are premium, for example there might be classic soup range and healthy soup range. Or Ben & Jerrys standard and then the "Core" flavours with a sauce filled centre.

The NCG soup the flavours not on promo were 'normal'. There were 8 flavours in total in the white carton plus the soup of the month. Four of them plus the SOTM was on promo price. The others, not.

So the supermarket, you guessed it - hardly any of the promo flavours left. The non promo ones, the display looked untouched. Looked at the UB dates on the non promo ones. Which was 3 days later. Went back on that date and to see them reduced to about a third more than the promo ones. The supermarket probably only got rid of these by reducing them to 20p.
  • Can't speak for Lidls...our Lidls closed last year for refurbishment and is yet to reopen (already gone well over the expected date for completion)

Tesco is pretty bad. I really hate it when I clip coupons from the free magazine and the till rejects them.

One place I have not had any problems is M&S...they always have offers, and EVERY time the till takes off the relevant amount. Not only that but the assistants always point out to you if you have missed an offer (telling you if something is on a twofer or 3 for £10 so you can get another item to take advantage of the offer)

It could, of course, just be that we have a brilliant M&S and a rubbish Tesco!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure