2017 - moving life forwards

Options

Comments

• coastalchick
    Options
    Thanks! Waiting to hear....He's called Marley!

On the house front we have been told today that the vendors of ours's mortgage for the property they are buying has been approved but they just have to wait for the physical offer letter to arrive - final piece in the jigsaw!!!! Just hoping all comes in time now for 13th.

Got gas bill today and we are about £285 in credit! We are moving to a property without gas so, when taking into account my next DD payment on 4th and then the use between now and then we should, I reckon, get around a £265 refund! We could really do with this right now given vets bills and everything else! So we will put that refund straight into the joint "bills" account we opened and it can go towards bills for new house.

Just popped into town - swapped coat, bought moisturiser which was on half price so that was nice and unexpected! Face wash same and then my eye make up remover was a third off so got 2 of those as use every day and stock up when cheap. Total £12.59 though a little bit off as BD will use face wash so he pays towards that. Then got self a lovely ready meal for tonight (lasagne!!) and a salted caramel cheesecake thing - pack had 2 in it so BD can have 1 at some point which he is very happy about!!

Going to phone vets in about 15 mins and hope he can come home. They said he will have to have a collar which I know is going to drive him mad, as well as the fact he won't be able to go out!! Hoping the bill is not more than £1400 as we have put that aside, so if it's less we will be nicely surprised! Vet said he is still going to suffer from outer ear infections but hopefully these can be managed through drops and cleaning, it's because it went into inner ear this time he has had such a bad run of it.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Picked cat up from vets friday - was £812.25 so much more reasonable than we thought (still a killer though!). Thankfully I had put money aside for that so fine. He is NOT happy about having his collar though!!! So I stayed in with him fri night with my lasagna, cheesecake and a bottle of red! We already had the red in the cupboard so at least that was a no spend. BD went out with his work and got home about 1245.

Sat am we looked after BD's niece and nephew - to park which was fun (and free!). We would've taken them elsewhere tbh but we don't have car seats for them and park in walking distance. Really enjoyed it (they are SO sweet) and avoided having to change a nappy (I told the niece not to poo!!) though think BD secretly wanted to have to so we can practice for when we have our own!

Then did big shop - £81/2 this week which is good for us. Sorted for meals for rest of week now. Sat afternoon we just watched tv and looked after cat. Sat night BD made the mary berry leek, onion and cheese pie which was outstanding!!!!

Yesterday was lunch out with BD's family for mother's day. £67 each as we each had 3 courses, the girls had prosecco and coffees too. Plus we paid for his mum so not bad and food was really lovely. His niece and nephew were so well behaved too and just an absolute pleasure to be around.

Today I have swapped my day off for friday so can look after cat. He has to have his collar on when we're out (or asleep!) as he scratches and back to vets weds night so trying just to be with him today so he can be without collar as it can't be nice having that on all the time and I can't be off tomorrow. Had to call vets though as he is shaking his head a lot and his ear sounds wet - so may end up taking him back again today - more ££££!!!! Waiting for vet to call me back to tell me if need to take him in. It's a right ball ache as we don't have parking and car 15 min walk away (though could prob get BD to get car for me) - will be much easier when in new house as can just get in car and go!!!

Hoping to exchange on my current property tomorrow with completion in 17 days! Then will exchange on new property some time next week hopefully. Really can't wait now and want to get packing up!

Part of me worries as we are doubling our mortgage and I do sometimes think, should we be saving that money instead by staying here BUT we don't have parking here, are terraced, overlooked all the way round, the area is a bit !!!!! and we have someone above us. Because of parking etc it's not really practical for a kid and we want a family. Plus I do think it's important you are happy where you live and we are currently not happy and I know we will be happy in the new house as it's detached, rural, very private (we look out over agricultural fields and can barely see nearest house that could potentially see in - we do have people next to us but lots of trees in way) and importantly has parking!!!!!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    So, signing away on my house today. Will be no turning back then as am bound to sell it! Told BD if he had any doubts whatsoever he had to say now because this is my house and I wouldn't want to lose it. Thankfully he said no doubts!!! So we are just waiting now for our vendors to get their formal offer letter. Their mortgage has been approved but it's just a question of the actual physical letter which we are hoping will be this week sometime.

All very nerve-wracking but really looking forward to moving in!

Back to vets tonight - hoping it's a free follow-up given how much we've already spent! Phoned insurance company yesterday, they've received my claim but it will probably be another couple of weeks before it's processed. Not holding out any hope they will cover it though!!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Took cat to vets - he's progressing well and final appointment (fingers crossed) should be next tues evening. Don't know what damage will be as either they didn't charge for yesterday or they're saving it for next tues as they didn't ask us to settle up!

Spent a little bit yesterday - needed tampax and some pain killers as that time of month! Then ordered an ovulation testing thing and put a couple of books in my amazon basket so was 28.80 for my share.

Today we need cat food and milk so will grab that on way home from work.

Had free sandwich lunch at work yesterday as had lecture at lunchtime. Today is wrap from stores. Pretty busy at work and have something I MUST crack by end of week.

Didn't sign yesterday as my firm didn't get their house in order (pardon the pun!) so should be today. Then 15 days (hopefully) until in new house!
  • coastalchick
    coastalchick Posts: 292 Forumite
    Options
    insurance won't cover cat saying it's all pre-existing. But am going to challenge it - there was only 1 incident pre-inception of the policy and then nothing for 2 years and it was literally 1 trip to vets. I think that an insurance ombudsman might find that unreasonable. We can but try. We've written off that money but it was 2k so am not prepared to let it lie until Ive exhausted all options.

Had fun and games with the house and we should be finally exchanging today. Was a big issue last week with the vendor at end of chain saying he couldn't move on 13th (despite having known about this date since end jan!) and people suggesting BD and I should go into temporary accommodation - erm I don't think so - problem not our end of chain as we had exchanged with our purchasers!!

So all looking good for 13th. We are currently surrounded by boxes as we started packing at weekend so it's not very nice living here right now but will obv only be for another 9 days!

We've not spent too much in this last few days and we are trying to use up everything in the freezer before we move. Lunch from stores today, and inevitably need milk so will get that on way home. Tomorrow is free sandwich lunch as have a meeting over lunch. Having massage friday but have a voucher for that which expires on 9th so no cost!

Going to try to flog some furniture when we move too. And have a car boot to get rid of dvd's etc as will all add up and we need some new stuff
  • coastalchick
    Options
    we've exchanged!!!! finally!!!!! No turning back now!!!!! So one week today the movers come and a week tomorrow we are in the new house!! Boxes literally everywhere and it is not pleasant at home right now but short term pain for long term gain. Even though we are trying to chuck stuff out we still have so much stuff. And thing is, a lot of the stuff we don't need is still good so could be sold at car boot. We are hopefully going to sort a car boot when we've moved in as that will raise some money for some new furniture!!

Took cat back to vets and she is very pleased with his progress. Has to go back in a month. Another £60 last night. Now up to approx £2k and insurance have declined but discussed with vet and she thinks that this is different to what he's had before and said she'd support the claim. I also had a look at the policy wording and it's not clear in my opinion so I will definitely be challenging it, just not yet as in middle of house move. So will send them a holding email. Though I can probably look at it tomorrow lunchtime.

Spent £2.13 as well yesterday on milk and toothpaste. Today should be a NSD and free lunch as meeting over lunch.
  • coastalchick
    Options
    yesterday was NSD. Free lunch at work though it made me poorly!!! More packing last night - getting a bit fed up of it and we have SO much rubbish! Today won't be NSD as nothing in house for lunch so will need to buy a sandwich, also need some more make up primer, milk and potato waffles!!

Started letter to insurance co yesterday but only did the factual stuff rather than policy interpretation as had a migraine all yesterday and so couldn't face anything technical!!

Last day of week for me today - wa hoo! Though will not be nice at home tomorrow with all these blinking boxes everywhere!!!
  • coastalchick
    Options
    3.70 on a sandwich yesterday. Then 4.01/2 on way home on milk, potato waffles and chocolate (though chocolate was on offer - 100g for 89p).

Accounting has gone awry this month and I'm somehow around 120 down - not sure how that happened!

Today will be spend day as have to get bubblewrap, something for lunch, something for tea and pay to have our post re-directed. Have massage at 2 though thats free as have a voucher.

Still quite a bit of packing to do though we have made good process. BD took the double bed in spare room down last night so we just have a double wardrobe in there to pack, some bits in bedroom and then bits in lounge/kitchen and the shed.

Have got loads of stuff we will flog at car boot - found a brand new lampshade (which prob won't go in new house) still in packaging which was £37! (I actually have a feeling that was left by previous owners) so could flog that for a fiver or tenner or so. A kettle which has only been used a handful of times (cheapo one but sure someone will pay 1-2 for it - would be good for a workshop/stables etc), a printer for photos - free with a camera but never used (though need to check it's got all parts as don't think it has), a mirror which previous owners left - quite lovely but again, not sure will go in new house. A tv (really old box style, no remote) but we have just left that on the path with a note saying free to take away.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope everything is going well with the moving etc!! Must be something in the air as I'm moving (albeit to another rental property) in 2 weeks too!

Hope Marley (great name!) is getting on a bit better! xxxx
  • coastalchick
    Options
    Hi guys

Sorry have been MIA for a month!! Move went as well as could be expected though was v stressful as we were packing for weeks in the end and then 5 hours to clean our house the day we left! Love love love the new house - we are surrounded by fields and there are cows in them! The cat seems to have settled ok and let him out today - gave me a bit of a panic attack as he disappeared for a couple of hours but is back now!

Started writing a new book today. Came up with the idea when on holiday last week but and know how I want to start it but not yet how I want it to finish - does anyone ever know how they want it to finish before they get writing? Pretty hard going but mainly because I can't think of how I want it to end. Have found writing the narrative so far ok.

Money wise don't even start! Still in battle with insurers though at least vet is now going to support my claim so will see what that brings. Bleeding money at the moment as BD is obsessed with repairing the rotten decking (which I agree needs doing but which is expensive!) and we had to buy things like a lawnmower as we now have a stupidly big garden/field to manage. Plus until October pay I am paying back tax office at 422 a month as they got my codings wrong!

Have tried to be a bit more frugal but finding it hard. Though I am in no debt (other than mortgage on this property and my one in tooting) I still worry CONSTANTLY about money. I now have a 35 minute walk each way to work and probably spend all of that time rationalising my financial situation and telling myself the future will be ok and that we do have enough. I know it's within my gift to earn more - either by going back full time if they'd have me, or going back to a fee earning role but I so like working only 4 days a week and not having clients or court that I'm loathe to go back.

Today I've changed address on my driving licence/vehicle registration, taken cat for final follow up at vets (all clear!) and got a bit of lunch and some cards for friends birthdays/baby arrivals from shops, and written some of my book.

We had so wanted to stay in this weekend but are out for dinner/drinks tonight with friends for their birthdays. Hoping BD doesn't suggest we pick up the tab because as much as I think that's nice. we are quite tight for cash at the moment and we are to Madrid the end of this month and France middle of next month, all of which will add up!!!

I just need to write a bestseller but that is SO unlikely to happen!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure