Heuristic Play Treasure Basket

Options
Hi Im really stuck for ideas of what to get my baby for birthday and xmas i have thought of a treasure basket filled with things objects for him to play with has anyone any ideas what I could pick up to fill it with and where from money tight so would need to be as cheap as poss really
£2400 mb profit so far since 01/11/08

!!!!!!!!!I am a scrooge and proud of it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi any chance you could make some things eg a knitted toy. My grandson loves his finger puppets from ikea. He also loves his homemade shaker, a small empty plastic bottle with some rice in then sealed. He also has another bottle that has part water with food colouring in and then some cooking oil, he loves to shake this and see theoil and coloured water mix.
    http://www.stretcher.com/stories/02/02apr15f.cfm
    http://inin.essortment.com/homemadetoysba_rcdt.htm (Scroll down for this one)
    I simply typed in homemade toys on a google search. Homemade is so much better. If you knit great if not see if you have a friend, relative who will knit or crochet a few things for you.

We have friends who made a book for their child, a simple photo album, small with pictures of close friends, 1 per page, animals, food eg apple, keep it simple search on google images for pictures of fruit etc and print out.

I love homemade gifts.

Why not visit Primark and get some cozy pjamas, socks or fleece sleepsuit. We were in there yesterday and paid £3 for a sleepsuit £1 pack socks and £3 for pj's.

My grandson also likes fridge magnets.

Hope these ideas help.
    Nothing Changes if Nothing Changes
  • fesdufun
    Options
    A fab idea - here is a list to get your started. Have a look around house and ask neighbours, relatives, friends etc. if they have any bits they would like to donate to save money.
    • A treasure basket should not tip over too easily
    • Fill the basket with objects, so that your baby has plenty to choose from
    • Babies often want to put everything into their mouths. Make sure that everything you choose for the basket is safe
    • Everyday items from around the home are best. The purpose is to offer interest through smell, taste, sound, touch and sight (eg colour, form, length, shininess). (http://www.peep.org.uk/standard.asp?id=300)
    Wooden and metal spoons
    Sponge
    Metal whisks
    Shells
    Fir cone
    Pieces of fabric, including leather, suede, Hessian and sheepskin
    Small tins with lids
    Nail brushes ( preferably wooden)
    Bottle brushes/pastry brushes
    Ribbon
    Wooden instruments
    Large smooth stones( bought or collect-then washed and checked thoroughly)
    Cork coasters
    Wooden curtain rings
    Fruit
    Wooden or metal balls
    Smooth pieces of wood
    Safe metal chains
    Unbreakable mirrors
  • sethsgran
    sethsgran Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I love those ideas will keep them in mind for future grandchildren. Thanks