We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Tax on State Pension

Options
I know that tax is not deducted directly from SP, but I have a question on how tax on pension earnings is applied. If someone is due to start their SP on 3rd April, and bearing in mind that this is not paid until a week in arrears ie first payment received on 10th April; should this payment be treated as income for 16-17 or for 17-18 tax year.
Before doing something... do nothing

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,723 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK. Thanks for that link. If I understand it correctly, it sounds like you regard a total of 52 weeks payments for tax purposes irrespective of how much you actually receive in any one year. Have I got it right
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 32,150 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    That does not quite answer the question though for payments "due" before the tax year. 52 weeks taxable is fine for a whole year but when SPA is reached mid way through the year how is the part year tax calculated. The op's scenario is an extreme case of one payment crossing tax years. Is that payment taxable in 16/17 or 17/18 ?
  • lindabea
    lindabea Posts: 1,480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    That does not quite answer the question though for payments "due" before the tax year. 52 weeks taxable is fine for a whole year but when SPA is reached mid way through the year how is the part year tax calculated. The op's scenario is an extreme case of one payment crossing tax years. Is that payment taxable in 16/17 or 17/18 ?

I understood that scenario as tax is due on the total payments received for those weeks in the part year.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family