IVA & Bank Account

Hi
Looking for a little advice, my wife started proceedings for an IVA recently and the practitioner has been processing it over the last month or so, (might not have been that long). Anyway on the 15th Feb she found that her current bank account was blocked presumably due to the IVA being processed. After finding out this she spoke to her bank who told her if she opened a new account with the same provider everything would be fine, following this advice she opened a new basic account with the same bank and informed her employer of the new details after her salary was bounced back to them because the details they had was of the blocked account. She was informed today by her employer it had again bounced back to them because the new account had also been blocked

She was informed yesterday that the IVA had been put in place and finalised, our question is, if anyone can advise, if she now attempts to open another basic account with a different provider (which I and her practitioner have advised her to do) will this account also have a block placed on it, or now the IVA has been finalised will it be fine to start using and having her salary paid into it.

She has had her salary and Tax credits, bounced back to her employer and HMRC twice now because the bank gave her false information. Not great considering she is 35 weeks pregnant with no money, Luckily I get paid weekly so we have been living on 1 wage for the last couple of weeks.

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Does she have debt with her current bank ?

As that would most likely be the reason.

She should have no such problems with another provider with whom she has no debt.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Mart34
    Mart34 Posts: 160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I believe she had a Planned overdraft on the account. which I assume has been included in the IVA

She was worried that when opening a new account with a new provider, the same thing would happen. So thought I would post here and get some advice.
  • Open a basic account with nationwide or Barclays - both excellent I got mine on the day of bankcruptcy no problem, gave me account number and sort code on the spot and set up online banking before I had the card .. so she could pay this info her her employer straight away

Did you get advice that an IVA was the best route?

In my humble opinion a large % of IVA's are Miss sold and not the best option.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure