tied cottages work for free rent

Options
Hi everyone
Bit random. I only discovered yesterday about Ties cottages. Free rent in exchange for work. Sound like a good idea and an excellent way to save.
However I cannot find any where on the internet information of adverts about the above.
Can anyone suggest a website etc so I can see whats available please.

Many thanks
Eilis :money:

Comments

• Silvertabby
    Options
    Someone may be along to point out my error - but I would think tied cottages are only offered as part of the employment packages for farmworkers, household staff etc. If that's the sort of work you are after, then you will need to seek out these specific job adverts and see what the package includes.
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Wages will be very low if a tied cottage is involved. There are a few jobs where a tied cottage is expected, i.e. agricluture or housekeeper on estate. But the problem is what happens when you loose that job, you are then homeless.
  • Eliza_2
    Eliza_2 Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes the job comes first. I live in an agricultural area and the local paper often has ads for farm workers with a cottage as part of the remuneration. A friend who farms has told me however, that farmworkers would often prefer to rent a house in a neighbouring village or town so that children are near schools, playparks, their friends and partners can easily get to work and facilities etc. For him this is a bit of a pain as he needs someone close by who can help with difficult calving in the middle of the night etc. So tied really is tied.

Farmers Guardian also has ads for this kind of work.

Private stately homes/other establishments also advertise for gardeners and housekeepers etc. A friend found a job as housekeeper with a flat in 'the big house' from an ad in 'The Lady' magazine. Again not a 9-5 job, was on call all hours of day and night.

E
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    School caretakers often have house/flat/bungalow in school grounds
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    School caretakers often have house/flat/bungalow in school grounds

Not these days!!! These were all sold off as private homes 20 years ago! Maybe different in the private school sector.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wizzbang wrote: »
    Not these days!!! These were all sold off as private homes 20 years ago! Maybe different in the private school sector.

Are you certain? I was dealing with Council Tax bands on caretakers' houses on state school premises less than 20 yrs ago. Quite a few I came across were not suitable for occupation unconnected with the school.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This was the caretaker's house at my school, it probably still is as it's integral to the entrance.

https://postimg.org/image/zcqtww7gh/
  • Sugarplum634
    Options
    Friends of mine lived in a tied cottage, he was basically the estate manager for a organisation. He lost his job and he and his young family spent 9 months living in a homeless shelter..

I'd give it a miss.
    Make £520 a year in 2020 so far (£0 cash £0 AGC)

(2019,£481.69) (2018, no idea!) ( 2017 £673.20) (2016 £800.97) (2015 £791.42/$312)

Penny challenge: 21/366 (66.70/671.61)
    NSD 7/150
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Are you certain? I was dealing with Council Tax bands on caretakers' houses on state school premises less than 20 yrs ago. Quite a few I came across were not suitable for occupation unconnected with the school.

In my part of the world, there are still some left - but they tend to be at isolated/remote schools in the country or retained at schools in parts of town with major issues around vandalism/break-ins.

The majority however have been sold-off, same with park keeper and graveyard wardens houses - and some of them were really nice/well built houses.

Tied houses are still part of the way of life round here as well - esp on farms/estates but even then, many of the old jobs have gone, so many houses have been sold-off or converted to rental/holiday homes and IME most people in them wish they could get-out to somewhere secure of their own.
  • Eilis
    Eilis Posts: 76 Forumite
    Options
    i was sad to read this about your friend and I do hop him and his family have found somewhere.
    Eilis :money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport