The Hard Yards

Options
Its time for me to focus and start working on getting this mortgage down. I'm trying to live more simply, enjoy life and get some freedom to make new choices in life. So I've sold my car and put the money raised against the mortgage. Its now sitting at £70,000 - I've maxed out on my overpayments, but fixed rate mortgage tie in ends 1st November.

So these next 8 months are all about trying to save a little more so that when the new mortgage starts I am in a good position to bring it down further.

All hints, tips and tricks welcome. Never done a budget, not sure I'd know where to start, but keen to learn!

Comments

• Taken first action, fixed a new tariff for our Electricity - saving £95 over 12 months. Every little is going to help!!
  • iquit
    iquit Posts: 1,939 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Welcome, l am looking forward to following another new diary. I am very impressed by your selling off your car to put towards the mortgage. You will hopefully continue to save ££££ not having car related outgoings like MOT, insurance, fuel, road tax etc. All the best.
    2019 MFW No. 74 £13700/£30000 (45.66%)
    12k in 2018 No. 98 £6274.19/£18000 (34.85%)

BTL (start) £97440.00 (current) £68000.00
    Residential (start) £275000.00 (current) £268000.00
  • Started looking around at what I can do to reduce "stuff". I've been reading a lost of blogs about minimalism and simplification, and have managed to offload quite a lot over the last year. It helps, and my clothes drawers now look a bit empty instead of heaving with my 20 year old T-shirts......

Tried putting 2 pairs of jeans and a rugby top on eBay, and managed to get £50 for them. Coupled with selling an old chest of drawers on gumtree for £40 it has been a successful few days!

There other things around the house that we don't really need or use, so I am going to think about what else might be able to help towards paying down the mortgage. The simplification idea is a good one, I get that it can be easier with less clutter, but it does seem all a little Scandic in its approach, lots of pictures of white walls and bare surfaces. We have 2 boys under 10 so that is never going to work!!
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Sounds like you're off to a great start! Have a read through some other people's diaries, I found lots of great tips from people when I first started last year. Have you thought about posting a statement of affairs that lists all your incoming money and outgoings? People often look at these and can then make suggestions of where you could save some money.

Good luck!!
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Best of luck with the new diary :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure