Excess Solar (SolarCache Diverter)

Hello everyone

We've just had a guy round from Anglian who has quoted us £1500 for the solarcache diverter.

Firstly, are diverters a good investment?

Secondly, is this price a good one?

Thanks in advance for any help

Replies

• ajbellajbell Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    A diverter is a good idea if you have something to divert it to, such as a hot water tank and/or a storage heater.
    But don't pay more than £300.
    I have an iboost+.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
  • Thanks for that.
    He was saying we could heat our hot water and save about £250 off our £600 gas bill (yearly figures).
  • pinnkspinnks Forumite
    840 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭
    It is highly unlikely that you will save anything like that amount!

I have an immerSUN and if you review my posts on here you will find I have made quite a few contributions on this issue. See this one in particular - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5471656&highlight=immersun

I get all of my hot water for the 5 summer months saving about £70-£80 on gas. For the remainder of the year I get a contribution towards my hot water saving perhaps £100 in total - And that is based on 10 years of gas usage records and nearing 4 years of immerSUN.

You do of course need a hot water system with an immersion heater - combi boiler is no good - and as ajbell says, don't pay more than about £300 installed for an iBoost and perhaps £100 more for the immerSUN (I understand they are being sold again following acquisition of the product from the liquidator of the inventor company).

So, I am a fan but note for that price!
    Wiltshire - 5.25kWp
    3.5kWp: 14 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 4000TL, WSW 40 degrees, June 2013
    1.75kWp: 7 x Phono Solar 250 Onyx, Sunny Boy 1600TL, SSE 45 degrees, March 2014
  • edited 14 February 2017 at 8:49PM
    ASavvyBuyerASavvyBuyer Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 14 February 2017 at 8:49PM
    Hello everyone

We've just had a guy round from Anglian who has quoted us £1500 for the solarcache diverter.

Firstly, are diverters a good investment?

Secondly, is this price a good one?

Thanks in advance for any help

That is a very large mark up or exorbinant installation charges.

See here for a new one via ebay for £375 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SolarCache-Wireless-Wi-Link-Solar-Immersion-Controller-Diverter-Hot-Water-/282178038108
  • silverwhistlesilverwhistle Forumite
    3.4K Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had an iBoost installed at the time of installation for (checks) £210 incl.

Savings have been good (6 months hot water + all year help). £1500 however is taking the proverbial...

Did the salesperson say you could get it for a £1000 if you signed on the spot, or talked to his manager? :D
  • Martyn1981Martyn1981 Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello everyone

£1,500 blimey, is that even legal? That suggests to me that Anglian don't have a set price, perhaps just a minimum to the salesperson, who then gets a share of how much more it's sold for. Real dodgy actions and good that you've pointed it out.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • NigeWickNigeWick Forumite
    2.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've got an Immersun too. Didn't have gas on from May to October inclusive. It came as part of my solar panel deal so don't know the price. £1,500 sounds an awful lot as I paid £6,300 for the whole system two years ago.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • I fitted my own Solamiser in a couple of hours, pretty easy (esp. as there are online videos). Cost £165. Works great. As others have said £1500 is crazy money
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides