🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Share the love

Options
angelpye
angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 14 February 2017 at 1:04PM in Debt-free wannabe
Hi all,

I know Valentines is mainly a commercial holiday where businesses get a big boom from us buying lots of seemingly unnecessary stuff but I love it. Not because it's a big spend day but because it gives us a little prompt to remember to demonstrate our appreciation to loved ones.

I love the idea that today so many people will receive a card, a more intentional hug or possibly some flowers. Maybe a special effort to properly sit down for a nice meal or even go out for one. Remembering to spend a little time together.

Life is so busy and for many of us on here can be stressful and although its the everyday little things that count, I think sometimes we can forget. I am single but have enjoyed seeing the little plans people have made on here - many very money saving and keeping in mind we don't have to fall into debt to make someone feel special.

So, what are you doing this week as a nod to Valentines? What money saving tips can we take from each other. I realise there is likely an old post somewhere but this is today! Lets share the love :D

Amending to say of course it could just be a day to treat yourself in a low or no spend way - we ca forget to do that too!
Happiness is wanting what you have...
Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
EF £0/£4200

Comments

• chelseablue
    Options
    Happy Valentines Day :)

I got my partner a 79p card from Aldi :rotfl:

And he saw it when he helped me unpack the shopping :rotfl:
  • another_casualty
    Options
    I posted a card to myself . A bill from utility warehouse arrived..but no card ! Life is crap.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 14 February 2017 at 12:43PM
    Options
    I am a widow, almost 2.5 years now.

Had my husband been aluveriday we would have spoilt each other, I would have cooked him a special meal (I hate restaurants on Valentines and Mothwrs day). We would have bought each other silly little gifts.

So....in his honour I have bought myself some red roses and a box of posh chocolates (reduced Aldis....well this is a moneysaving website).

I will Never marry again but it would be nice to think that one day I might meet someone to have a relationship with. A steamy love affair would be nice. :rotfl:::rotfl:

Whether you are single or in a relationship just enjoy the day, make it an excuse to pamper yourself and have some fun.

Enjoy.

:smileyhea
  • chelseablue
    Options
    I am a widow, almost 2.5 years now.

Had my husband been We would have spoilt each other, I would have cooked him a special meal (I hate restaurants on Valentines and Mothwrs day). We would have bought each other silly little gifts.

So....in his ho our I have bought myself some red roses and a box of posh chocolates (reduced Aldis....well this is a moneysaving website).

I will Never marry again but it would be nice to think that one day I might meet someone to have a relationship with. A steamy love affair would be nice. :rotfl:::rotfl:

Whtwryou are sing,sir in a relationship just enjoy the day, make it an excuse to pamper yourself and have some fun.

Enjoy.

:smileyhea

Sorry for your loss :-(

I've been with my partner almost 5 years and I'm still waiting for a steamy love affair
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    I posted a card to myself . A bill from utility warehouse arrived..but no card ! Life is crap.

Still feeling sorry for yourself I see. ;)

Come on now AC. Your life is not crap. Stop whinging.

If you feel it is then change it.....make it uncrap.

You are the Only one who can make the necessary changes. no one else can do it for you.

So come on get a grip. The suns shining, you are about to move house and start your new life.

Stop moping and start doing.

Onwards and upwards......:D
  • angelpye
    Options
    Well chelseablue it still counts! And bargain to boot!

another casualty...that's not fair but totally something that would happen to me! The act of doing something like that is nice though, taking care of you :)
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    EF £0/£4200
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Sorry for your loss :-(

I've been with my partner almost 5 years and I'm still waiting for a steamy love affair

:rotfl::rotfl:

Well start tonight........no time like the present.

Romantic dinner with all the trimmings, full seduction mode.

I am assuming that you want the steamy affair with your partner and not a third party.;) :rotfl:
  • JustAboutThere
    Options

Sorry to hear your card didn't arrive.

I was looking at an anti-Valentine's event and loved their play on the Roses are Red rhyme:

"Roses are Red
    Violets are Blue
    Vodka is cheaper
    Than dinner for two"

Well, it appealed to my (sick) sense of humour :)
  • kirtsypoos
    kirtsypoos Posts: 3,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    What a lovely post :) My OH moans about how valentines day is made up to force people to spend money so we have an alternative Valentines day - this year it will be Saturday. We will spend the day together, playing games, cooking and listening to music. More important to me than any flowers/chocs etc....although some lilies would be nice :rotfl:
    :j PAID VERY, Barclaycard x3, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID :j LBM 24/07/15 - Original Debt: £0/31010.23 (100% paid) :eek:
    Mortgage - £151.316.54 :eek:
  • angelpye
    Options
    lesson learned sorry for your loss, it's lovely that you have treated yourself. I think you are right that today is a great excuse to pamper ourselves. A steamy love affair...yup, I could do with one of those too!
    EF £0/£4200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills